Are there any EPA fireplaces with an open door or screen option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff15

Dec 9, 2020
Tahoe
I'm doing major renovations and additions on my house and considering options. I currently have a 4 flue masonry chimney: a downstairs open fireplace (converted to an EPA insert w/ liner), downstairs outdoor BBQ flue (unused), upstairs open fireplace, and upstairs small Morso stove w/ liner.

It's making more and more sense to demo the chimney in order to rework the floor plan. I'd be happy to swap the downstairs insert for a bigger ZC fireplace, and move the Morso somewhere else w/ a standard metal pipe. My problem is the upstairs open fireplace... I love it, and can't lose the satisfaction of the crackle and pop!

I live in an area where open fireplaces are prohibited / grandfathered in. Are there any options to rebuild an open fireplace with a standard round flue pipe in a EPA certified way? I've seen the Osburn inserts with mesh door option, but haven't seen a ZC with it. Or sneak in a modern open fireplace after...

Thanks for any tips.

Some Osburn and Drolet inserts have this option.

Or a freestanding stove.

The RSF Opel 2 and Focus SBR fireplace have a firescreen option. There may be others in the RSF line also. FPX 44 and 36 Elite fireplaces too. There may be others.

Reactions: bigealta
The Osburn Stratford II ZC has a screen option. The frame snaps in when the doors are open and the screen door swings open/closed in this frame.

Looks like the answer is yes, many ZC fireplaces have the screen option.