• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Puzzled in Oregon

Apr 2, 2024
lincoln city oregon
I just bought this cute little condo on the beach in lincoln city Oregon. As soon as I bought it I wanted to make a fire in the fire place and thats when the trouble started. I have had the chimney cleaned twice, taken out the damper, opened the doors, opened the windows, so that I won't get smoked out when I light a fire.

The fire rolls out the top of the fireplace. I just got up on the roof and shinned a light down and could see into the fireplace box sort of, and the fire Not that there was any kind of blockage but it has some sort of pipes. After doing some research I think its a old Heatilator fireplaces vents or iron pipe fireplace heat exchanger. Or maybe a pipe fireplace heat exchanger. Please see the pictures and let me know what you think. Are these pipes causing the smoke backup so that it comes out the front? I will say that opening the door and/or a window does help, but then its like it builds up and the smoke doesnt have anywhere else to go but out the front.

1st image is of the fireplace with a white circle around the vent
2nd image is the cover of the vent off so that you can see what is blocking the chimney

thanks for your time
jill

IMG_4840.jpg IMG_5620 (1).jpg

It sounds like weak draft is the issue. There are different factors that can cause this. One is a too short chimney, or an undersized flue liner, or negative pressure in the room. Mild outdoor temps will also reduce draft. Also, is a dryer, kitchen range fan, or bathroom vent running when this happens?

How tall is the chimney?
What are the flue tile dimensions?
Is this in a one story addition on a 2 story house?
What are the outside temps?

So you don't think I need to remove the old what ever it is with the 2 holes in it that is in image #2? I tried to answer all your questions in red.

One is a too short chimney --I have attached a image of the outside of the condo.... one floor and a image of our chimney compared to our neighbors. or an undersized flue liner? Im not sure that it has a flue liner, or negative pressure in the room. Mild outdoor temps will also reduce draft. Weather has been extra cool this winter on the oregon coast so i don't think this is the issue. Also, is a dryer, kitchen range fan, or bathroom vent running when this happens? NO.

I also noticed when I was up on the roof the cap on the top of the chimney was not sealed down should that be corrected? please see last image

How tall is the chimney? from the roof up.... maybe 4 ft
What are the flue tile dimensions?
Is this in a one story addition on a 2 story house?
What are the outside temps?

Thank you, also do you think a chimney fan at the top might work?

origin.jpegIMG_5620 (1).jpgchimney height.jpggap in chimney.jpg

Last edited:
The height is probably adequate for the fireplace. If the flue diameter is too small draft may be insufficient for the fireplace opening. Does opening a nearby window an inch help reduce the problem?

As a test a 4-5" strip of metal could be attached to the lintel to lower the opening height and see if that cures the smoke spillage. If it does, then a permanent version could be fabricated, painted black with high temp paint, and screwed into place.

no... opening a window helps a little bit but does not cure the problem. I dont understand where you think I should put the piece of metal... are you talking the top of front opening of the fireplace? see image Once again, you dont think I should remove the old metal thing?

thank you

fireplace.jpg

no... opening a window helps a little bit but does not cure the problem. I dont understand where you think I should put the piece of metal... are you talking the top of front opening of the fireplace? see image Once again, you dont think I should remove the old metal thing?

thank you

View attachment 326434
You can't just remove the old metal thing. That is your firebox. It looks like there is a stainless liner in the fireplace chimney. It's possible that is to small

thank you
Yes, that's right. Get a 6" strip of 20 ga sheetmetal cut and attach it to the metal at the top. You could use metal tape for the test. If that is a major improvement, then paint it black and screw it to the lintel to make it permanent.

If this fails then an insert in the fireplace may be an alternative solution.

Would building it up from the bottom work? Reason is that I have some left over fire bricks from a pizza oven I made. I could lay them on the base and make the whole firebox smaller?

Let me know what you think

Jill

I think the odds are much better to try at the top. Heat and hot smoke rise. Fold some aluminum foil in half and use some metal tape to attach as a test (and only as a test).

It looks like you have a "roostertail" top cap on that chimney, which we found to be a requirement at the beach on any wood stove appliance. But it has to be functioning, and moving with the wind to function correctly. Make sure it is not 'froze' up from creosote or lack of lubricant, etc.

Reactions: begreen
Any chance your neighbor's place is the same build vintage as yours? Same fireplace by chance? Looks almost like they have a significantly taller chimney. Wonder how well their setup works?

It looks like you have a "roostertail" top cap on that chimney, which we found to be a requirement at the beach on any wood stove appliance. But it has to be functioning, and moving with the wind to function correctly. Make sure it is not 'froze' up from creosote or lack of lubricant, etc.
Good point, considering it's pointed in the opposite direction as the neighbor's.