Questions about prefab fireplace removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakersfan8

Feb 11, 2024
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

I had a prefab fireplace removed. The flue pipe was left in and the chase cover at the top closed off the chimney. There was a bottom vent left there. I noticed some water on the underside of the fire stop.
Is it recommended to close off the vent here? To stop the flow of cold air?

Next, is it recommended to remove the flue pipe? Dont plan on putting a fireplace back, going to close it with drywall.
IMG_7454.png
IMG_9598.jpeg
IMG_7283.jpeg
IMG_7282.jpeg

While it’s accessible, I would remove the venting, mainly to find out exactly where that water penetration was, & to seal any leaks to prevent further damage. I would also remove the fresh air pipe at the lower right. There’s no need to have a hole in the wall of your home if it’s not needed.

I completely stripped my prefab out, including the entire flue. I put my wood stove in in an alcove installation and used the fresh air pipe as an outside air intake. It turned out great.