a few questions on reduced clearances and hearth designs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burningforyou

Aug 18, 2013
se mi
Hello I’m Starting my install of my osburn 2300 in my family room. Currently there is a header over the opening, and the opening is 84” tall. The minimal ceiling height has to be 84”. With me building a hearth Ill have to make accommodations for the situation. Instead of changing the header over to a blind header and tearing into my ceiling I’m considering using the reduced clearance route. Per the manual I can use a non-combustible material to reduce by 33% ie durock on 1” durock spacers how far should the 1” strips be spaced for stability?

On the status of my hearth I need to get to a R value of 1.0 using ½” durock nextgen at r value of .39 I could layer it 3 times to a value over one and then tile over the top. Do I thin set between each layer? Do screws only need to penetrate the layer immediately below it or through all layers? Should I use a plywood base then durock or build a frame out of 2 by 4’s then durock to that? What’s the standard hearth height?

Status
Not open for further replies.