a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemc53

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2008
SE Michigan
I have a Summer's Heat (England Stove Works) 50-SNC13 and I'm in my third season of burning. I have a few observations and questions which I would really appreciate any input on that I can get.

It's taken me awhile to get used to the stove and its qualities (actually still learning) but I think I'm getting better. I burn mostly ash with some silver maple mixed in and though I try to get very seasoned wood (have to purchase occasionally because my cuttings run low) I'm sure that it is not always the case. Regardless, I seem to get nice clean burns with almost no residue or build up in the chimney, almost no smoke (ever) from the chimney top and no smoke buildup in firebox, or backup into the house. Here are my questions:

I am assuming that I get a good draft due to the clean burn, no smoke aspect - I can clearly see flames and startup smoke being pulled up in the firebox. Is it a safe assumption to believe that I have good draft?

The air intake on this stove is just the one operated by a small rod at the bottom of the unit. There are times when I need to leave the damper open all the way for a good part of the burn-day if I want to keep a strong burn going. Cracking the door slightly always seems to get things going really well, but with door closed and damper more than halfway closed, sometimes the fire seems to struggle (air starvation?). Is this a by-product of intake, draft, or both?

Also, I have no flue damper installed (it wasn't recommended by manufacturer), though I do have a brand new one should I choose to install it. What are the pros and cons of having a flue damper with this unit? I'd have to remeasure but I'm thinking my chimney is about 18 ft.

All-in-all this has been a pretty nice burning season. I probably burn about 12-16 hours a day and have had no issues. I just would like to know a little more about draft vs intake and what I can do to be most efficient.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

What you describe sounds like some of your wood is not dry enough. That causes you to have to have more air to get the burn. But you have a clean burn so you are doing something right. Still, if you can get to the point of having a couple years of wood ahead, I'd bet 99% of your problems will be solved.

When I read about you having to have the draft all the way open for a good part of the day, that says a problem with fuel. Also, if you have that draft full open, a big share of the heat is going straight up the chimney and giving you no benefit in the home. That is why it is important for burning dry wood and partially closing the draft. If you can close the draft even 75%, then you will get much more heat in the home rather than throwing it outdoors.

As for the damper, we also do not have one and most folks don't. It sounds for sure like you do not need one as your only problem seems to be not enough air at times.

Agreed, the stove wants dry wood. An 18ft of flue should be ideal for the stove unless there are a couple 90s in the smoke path. No key damper should be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.