A firewood company "bought" some wood from me today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
This is hard to believe. A guy I know, who owns a tree service, ran into a problem and had to get some dry wood from me. This guy has a tree service and sells a bit of C/S/D wood every year. I've purchased some rounds from him in the past (very cheap), but since then have found a place where I can get it free. We were talking about how that business is going and he said it's up over last year. He also told me that he has an old client who is complaining about some wet wood that was delivered and wants the company to take the wet wood back and bring some dry to replace it. He confessed that he didn't have any really dry wood but didn't want to lose this client. So, knowing that I have a 2-3 year supply on hand, he asked if I could spare some dry wood to deliver to the guy. He told me that he would bring me a "good sized load" to make it worth my while. I agreed to help him out. I'm interested in finding out how much a "good sized load" is. But knowing how he has performed in the past, I'm sure it will more than offset what I gave him.

I'm amazed about this one. I hope he saves face, but this also confirms what we all know- the only dry wood out there is what you cut, split and stack yourself- several years in advance! I guess he has gotten lucky in the past, in that the buyer had never complained before.

Maybe his "old client" is a lawyer that knows his girlfriend, and also knows his wife.

jdinspector said:
but this also confirms what we all know- the only dry wood out there is what you cut, split and stack yourself- several years in advance!

Amen brother!

I would venture a guess that 1.5 to 2 times the amount of "green" wood to replace the cut split and seasoned would make things right!!!! even better if he delivers and stacks that wood already cut/split. Might be worth it for the storage space for seasoning wood to do it every year!!! you get extra wood and he gets the paying client.

f3cbboy said:
jdinspector said:
but this also confirms what we all know- the only dry wood out there is what you cut, split and stack yourself- several years in advance!

Amen brother!

I really dont think you would need to confirm that after a million post about it! Sounlds more like you just make your best friend! Tree company heck Thats where the rub is here! You didnt do this for free so now you are a wood dealer as well.Not that its a bad thing

Eh J, you getting defensive? Not all tree guys/firewood purveyors are liars.

LLigetfa said:
Eh J, you getting defensive? Not all tree guys/firewood purveyors are liars.

lol just see it a little different and sounds like this firewood dealer a good guy to have as a friend thats all.

Inspector, I'm willing to bet that fellow will bring you lots more than you expect. At least that has been my experience; no quantity stated and only on word. People like to do good to others. You did him good and he will return the favor. I can be wrong about this as occasionally one will run into a jerk, but not often.

Backwoods Savage said:
Inspector, I'm willing to bet that fellow will bring you lots more than you expect. At least that has been my experience; no quantity stated and only on word. People like to do good to others. You did him good and he will return the favor. I can be wrong about this as occasionally one will run into a jerk, but not often.

thats the way i see it backwoods the guy does it for a living, you belled him out 10 fold back with a firewood burning best friend

I can attest it's always nice to have a good tree guy on your side . I have have several loads dropped off at little to no cost and it's very nice compared to scrounging and cleaning up a bunch of brush plus hauling everything.
Here in N. Illinois sadly there are more low lifers than decent folks out there now a days selling wood. Maybe you can make an ongoing deal to supply the wood for that customer and in return tree guy drops you a truck load right from the job not cut and split but a full truck or trailer load , a big load of wood but not anything he has time and money in preparing for sale to end user.

LLigetfa said:
Maybe his "old client" is a lawyer that knows his girlfriend, and also knows his wife.

LOL !

I re-read my original post. WOW! Lots of double entendre there. Oops. I'll have to watch my future postings.

Yep, I'm thinking that I saved him some embarrassment. I only gave him 1-2 face cords, so it was not big deal to me. I'm expecting he'll drop a couple of cords off at my place. Who knows? Like PINEBURNER said, I may have started a good relationship and might have an easy long term wood drop-off deal with this guy. If he totally screws me and only gives me what I gave him, that's fine. Live and learn. I'm expecting he'll be "righteous" with me.

I didn't do this for the return on investment. I really just wanted him to save face. You know, Do unto others... Maybe he'll learn?

Brian VT, not sure if you saw my other post. I just sold my old Resolute Acclaim. How is your's working with the home made combustor box? (Maybe you should post to that thread?)

i have 8 cords stacked split and seasoned ,if someone in need really was in bind and offered me 2 cords for every cord of mine id jump on it in a heartbeat,point is the wood itself is just part of the equation ,the cutting splitting stacking gasoline bar oil premix oil and space required to let it season the advil the man hours away from other work ect.. is worth more than the bulk mass of wood

Status
Not open for further replies.