A good load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobetter

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
Indiana

My little Brother came over yesterday and I sent him packing with a kings ransom of dead,dry, off the ground Darn near petrified pin oak, Ironwood,(Hophornbeam) and a small amount of other standing dead stuff. It was fun and I got to run all my saws (except the little Homelite)

Bet he has no trouble burning this fresh cut Pin oak, its been dead over 20 years, hard is an understatement. good thing I finally learned how to hand file!

[quote author="mobetter" date="1261360659"]

My little Brother came over yesterday and I sent him packing with a kings ransom of dead,dry, off the ground Darn near petrified pin oak, Ironwood,(Hophornbeam) and a small amount of other standing dead stuff. It was fun and I got to run all my saws (except the little Homelite)

Great pictures and nice haul.

zap

north of 60 said:
Looks like ya spoiled yourself. Keep keeping it simple and thanks for sharing.

I think it was lil 'Bro who got spoiled. Let's see, my saws, gas, wood, and since I was runnin' the saws he drank most of my beer.........................Don't ya Love Brothers!

Here's a pic of him standing in front of the biggest tree in my woodlot,

Drop that one and open it up for more growth

smokinjay said:
Drop that one and open it up for more growth

Uh,

let me think on that,,,,,NO WAY, Jay.

mobetter said:
north of 60 said:

I think it was lil 'Bro who got spoiled. Let's see, my saws, gas, wood, and since I was runnin' the saws he drank most of my beer.........................Don't ya Love Brothers!

I bet you still had fun though?
Nice lookin specimen by the way. Whats your plan for it?

north of 60 said:
mobetter said:
north of 60 said:

It's a White Oak that is 20 ft. 2.5 in. in circumfrence. I think it was too big to log out.. It will stay right there as long as I can protect it. I reckon it could be over 300 years old.

mobetter said:
I think it was lil 'Bro who got spoiled...
Here's a pic of him
Ja, I can see why you call him lil 'Bro. He looks small standing in front of that tree.

My little brother somehow magically appeared out of thin air when I had beer and when my wife was about to serve supper. Did a good disappearing act too when there was work to be done.

Brothers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You can't pick you're Family eh? (I still Love him)

mobetter said:
north of 60 said:
mobetter said:
north of 60 said:

It's a White Oak that is 20 ft. 2.5 in. in circumfrence. I think it was too big to log out.. It will stay right there as long as I can protect it. I reckon it could be over 300 years old.

that would make that tree 76 inchs across I have never seen any tree including siver maples that big 63 inchs is the biggest I have seen WOW that could be a record...........

mobetter said:
Brothers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You can't pick you're Family eh? (I still Love him)

Yep, I would do anything for my Bro. Even though he is 1600 miles away.

smokinjay said:
mobetter said:
north of 60 said:
mobetter said:
north of 60 said:

that would make that tree 76 inchs across I have never seen any tree including siver maples that big 63 inchs is the biggest I have seen WOW that could be a record...........

I posted that tree over at arborist site, and a guy from N.W. In. said the record White Oak in Indiana(EvansvilleI think) was about 283" circumfrence at breast height. Long way from the record, but still a Monster.

dear all of you with loser brothers. I am available for adoption. I may not have big saws but at least I can do TONS of work. If its your gear and your woodlot. I will even bring the beer. What is your favorite type? I can cook too when the wood has been hauled. What is your favorite food? Let me know when you need a new brother. I will hold up my end of the bargain.

todd

17 ft 6 inchs was set in 2003 you blow it out of the water........66.625 in across

smokinjay said:
17 ft 6 inchs was set in 2003 you blow it out of the water........66.625 in across
http://www.iup.edu/page.aspx?id=26615

Jay,

That link is Indiana county PA.

Take a look at that link again, it should give you the answer to the wood I.D.

mobetter said:
smokinjay said:

Jay,

Doesn't make that monster any smaller and sure makes that 100cc saw seem like a kids toy... That's got to be a record. I know of one red oak in Madison CO. thats 53in. across most get eat by termites

smokinjay said:
mobetter said:
smokinjay said:

Jay,

Doesn't make that monster any smaller and sure makes that 100cc saw seem like a kids toy... That's got to be a record. I know of one red oak in Madison CO. thats 53in. across most get eat by termites

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/bigtree2005.pdf

wow the record is 283 inches circumference at 4.5 ft. Mine's 40.5" short!

At 4.5' from ground

Its going to take a 880 and a 60in bar....lol nice tree

How much firewood could you get from that tree? It is a dandy.

Backwoods Savage said:
How much firewood could you get from that tree? It is a dandy.

I would put it at 6.5-8 cords bet it would have a distinctive thump when as hits the ground..

Mobetter, could you post a picture of some of the oak that you think has been down for 20yrs. I processed some a while back and was wondering how long it was down. I would like to compare.

smokinjay said:

Smokinjay, you made a mistake, this was from IUP (Indiana University of PA) I went to college there. It is in Pennsylvania, a common mistake is to think it is in Indiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.