A good score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I forgot to take my camera but will get pics when I return next week. My wife's friend called this past Sunday to let us know the storm that ran through here on Saturday snapped large tree in her back yard and after the insurance adjuster comes by(partly landed on a shed) I can have it if I want it. She had no idea what type of tree but it was big. Well, I have learned that the meaning of a big tree varies from 1 person to another so I wasn't too optimistic when I stopped by last night to take a look. Had myself convinced that even if it was "big" it was porbably cottonwood.....well it was BIG!! .....and a sugar maple too. About 12' of the trunk was still standing with the rest of the tree on the ground and shed. When I spoke with the homeowner she said she would call me after the tree guy has it cut up and removed the small stuff at which time the thought popped into my head for somebody to pinch me because surely I must be dreaming!

can't wait for pics, sounds like your going to be busy

Sounds like you did hit the jackpot Bob. Congratulations.

sounds like a great score. although, without pics, how can we be sure?

the logging yard where i get my firewood typically has cherry oak and sugar maple. if accessable, i'll always choose the maple. nearly as good as oak but seasons faster.

Reactions: ScotO
sounds like a great score. although, without pics, how can we be sure?

the logging yard where i get my firewood typically has cherry oak and sugar maple. if accessable, i'll always choose the maple. nearly as good as oak but seasons faster.

onetracker, this will be my first season with Maple if it compares to Oak im all over it. I have a ton of Maples in the woods and yard.

I only have Red Maples and it compares to Cherry, wich I had some Sugar Maples

Sounds alot like my score recently Bob. Storm blew down neighbors sugar maple and I was on it big time! :)

How much wood do you have on hand now Wishlist?

You know the drill no Pic's it never happened! :p

How much wood do you have on hand now Wishlist?
I'm a good 8 years ahead Dennis. Really need some shoulder season wood tho. Burnt alot of it last year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations and looks like tree service does the dirty work for you. Wish we had sugar maples down here. Mostly silver and reds. Looking forward to pics.

Should be seeing pictures soon, eh?
Nice score.

onetracker, this will be my first season with Maple if it compares to Oak im all over it. I have a ton of Maples in the woods and yard.

etiger

http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

you've probably seen this list - it seems accurate. sugar maple is up there with the best of them. denser than red oak and ash and right up there with some of the hickories. its SUPREMO firewood!

AND

it seasons quicker than oak.

Should be seeing pictures soon, eh?
Nice score.

I hope so. Really thought I would have the come and get it phone call by now. I guess I'll have to settle for the oaks that are down near my neighbor's driveway :)

Hey, get what you can Bob.

Well, looks like I need my eyes checked. What looked like a sugar maple to me from the road turns out to be oak! I think it's a large pin oak? Dark heartwood and a not so nice smell when cut/split. If it's pin oak what btu rating is it closer to, red or white oak? Either way it will be good firewood in a few years for a few bucks in gas and a few hours of my time. There was also a smaller silver maple in the mix.

The main trunk measures about 30" DBH although the property owner may have somebody that wants to mill it. That's OK as I estimate about another 4 or 5 truck loads will come out of this w/o the main trunk. Going back for load#2 today. Being able to back my truck right up to the wood helps to make up for the weight of the bigger rounds. No gym membership needed this month!

Attachments

• Main trunk.jpg
    Main trunk.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Main trunk2.jpg
    Main trunk2.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 147
  • First truck load.jpg
    First truck load.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Getting ready to split first load.jpg
    Getting ready to split first load.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 145
  • First load split and stacked.jpg
    First load split and stacked.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 143
Well, looks like I need my eyes checked. What looked like a sugar maple to me from the road turns out to be oak! I think it's a large pin oak? Dark heartwood and a not so nice smell when cut/split. If it's pin oak what btu rating is it closer to, red or white oak? Either way it will be good firewood in a few years for a few bucks in gas and a few hours of my time. There was also a smaller silver maple in the mix.

The main trunk measures about 30" DBH although the property owner may have somebody that wants to mill it. That's OK as I estimate about another 4 or 5 truck loads will come out of this w/o the main trunk. Going back for load#2 today. Being able to back my truck right up to the wood helps to make up for the weight of the bigger rounds. No gym membership needed this month!
Nice score, Bob! That looks alot like a white oak to me. I'd love to have my hands on that trunk for some milling wood, there's a heap of boards in that baby!

YES! Finally pics. Not that I never believed you, it's just looking at pics of firewood makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

You are a beast, It's gotta be tough getting those rounds up into the bed, it's hard enough getting them in my trailer with a ramp and hand truck. Way to go.

Nice !! Especially that first big long stick.

Thats an awesome score! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.