A good score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, looks like I need my eyes checked. What looked like a sugar maple to me from the road turns out to be oak! I think it's a large pin oak? Dark heartwood and a not so nice smell when cut/split. If it's pin oak what btu rating is it closer to, red or white oak? Either way it will be good firewood in a few years for a few bucks in gas and a few hours of my time. There was also a smaller silver maple in the mix.

The main trunk measures about 30" DBH although the property owner may have somebody that wants to mill it. That's OK as I estimate about another 4 or 5 truck loads will come out of this w/o the main trunk. Going back for load#2 today. Being able to back my truck right up to the wood helps to make up for the weight of the bigger rounds. No gym membership needed this month!

Bob, I agree that is a pin oak. Here is one we cut. The smoother bark and the dark center give it away.

Pin oak cut-2.JPG

Here's the second load. The rounds are getting bigger now and man am I sore tonight! This office worker hasn't used these muscles in awhile! Told the Mrs I won't be getting another load until she's ready to go.

It's all split & stacked so that makes me feel like it was worth the soreness. I figure I should have at least 3 cords when it's all taken. I may not get the main trunk though as the owner says somebody may be milling it.

Attachments

• Second Load.jpg
    Second Load.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 103
Good stuff and the rounds look real heavy. My neighbor and I bring a few wedges and a sledge to half the bigger rounds before we have to load them in our pickups. Oak is great especially since it looks like you have ample room for the stacks.

Here's the second load. The rounds are getting bigger now and man am I sore tonight! This office worker hasn't used these muscles in awhile! Told the Mrs I won't be getting another load until she's ready to go.

It's all split & stacked so that makes me feel like it was worth the soreness. I figure I should have at least 3 cords when it's all taken. I may not get the main trunk though as the owner says somebody may be milling it.

Bob, being an office worker it is good for you to have some sore muscles every now and then. But know that your body is telling you something. Something like, you should be getting more exercise.

Cutting them in 1/2 is one option but tonight I'm trying the "take the Mrs along" option...we'll see how that goes :)

I actually like the feel of those muscles complaining to me...I even rolled up my sleeve and said to my wife...look, there really is a muscle there! I get lots of exercise just don't use the biceps to the extreme that this load has required. With another 2 or 3 loads to go along with needing to fill the shed for this winter I suspect that gym membership may be a few months away.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.