A hidden gem, and a shame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
My wood score just down the hill from my house is getting better by the day. The big Red Oak fell onto an Ash and hiding underneath, a Walnut. The shame of it was that most of the Walnut was splintered almost through the whole tree. I sawed a section of the trunk into slabs. The first 2 pics are the stump and the splintered sections. Another tree I can take is in pic 3 and 4. I am not certian, but I believe it is Poplar. What do you think it is?

Attachments

• tree19.jpg
    tree19.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 583
  • tree20.jpg
    tree20.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 577
  • tree18.jpg
    tree18.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 579
  • tree17.jpg
    tree17.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 563
Where's the shame? All I see is some wood that's pre-split :coolsmile:

3 & 4 (bottom 2) are Walnut.
The 1st picture, of the stump, doesn't look right to be walnut. I'd have to see it in real life to identify what the stump is.

Here is a pic of the slab I took from pic 1 of original post.

Attachments

• tree21.jpg
    tree21.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 419
Wide cambium layer, Nice score though.

Jay

You sound like you know these woods. Is the walnut in pic 3/4 a different species? Maybe Black Walnut? I have not seen such a dark pulp on any Walnut I have touched. Is it worth trying to sell for lumber?

mywaynow said:
Jay

You sound like you know these woods. Is the walnut in pic 3/4 a different species? Maybe Black Walnut? I have not seen such a dark pulp on any Walnut I have touched. Is it worth trying to sell for lumber?

Maybe fun for you to make something out of it...Big 3 inch slab cutting boards come to mind. X-mass for everyone this year.lol Would be handed down for many years. Something to be proud of. Family heirloom for sure.

This one is finnish now (pic is unfinnished) is a birthday present for my Mom and Dad there birthdays are two days apart. (partys today)

Just some big nice blocks make an awesome cutting block aswell.

The first stump - the one with the wide white cambium (sapwood) and multi-colored center - could be walnut, I guess, but it looks an odd color and overall seems to be a little atypicall, due to the wide, uneven cambium layer and multi-colored wood. I don't know what type of tree it is. The shattered wood looks like walnut, but it is hard to tell what the grain looked like before it shattered. The next stump - the dark-centered one - looks like typical Black Walnut. The last shot of a log the bark looks like it could be Black Walnut, but I can't see the wood color in the picture. Wood color would cinch the ID. Black Walnut is a very dark wood, darker than other common woods of the eastern US. I don't think the slab in the second post looks like Black Walnut, at least not on my screen. It looks way too light in color.

Black Walnut is valuable wood if you get a nice, big straight tree, but around here there are tons of smaller, crooked Walnuts that end up as firewood. not every walnut is veneer quality. It burns nicely but starts to burn a little more slowly than cherry or soft maple, which are similar in BTUs.

Can't help out on the wood ID but I like Jays idea. Jay, that is some awesome work! What do you use from start to finish in terms of sandpaper grit? Do you use a belt sander? What do you use for a finish? I'm sure I'll think of more questions... sorry to go so far off topic...

Trundle said:
Can't help out on the wood ID but I like Jays idea. Jay, that is some awesome work! What do you use from start to finish in terms of sandpaper grit? Do you use a belt sander? What do you use for a finish? I'm sure I'll think of more questions... sorry to go so far off topic...

40,80,120,180,280,400,600....Then rub it out with Olive oil on this one. This one is done and delivered! Got to find a better way to get good pic's of it.

Attachments

• finnish.jpg
    finnish.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 358
Wood Duck said:
The first stump - the one with the wide white cambium (sapwood) and multi-colored center - could be walnut, I guess, but it looks an odd color and overall seems to be a little atypicall, due to the wide, uneven cambium layer and multi-colored wood. I don't know what type of tree it is. The shattered wood looks like walnut, but it is hard to tell what the grain looked like before it shattered. The next stump - the dark-centered one - looks like typical Black Walnut. The last shot of a log the bark looks like it could be Black Walnut, but I can't see the wood color in the picture. Wood color would cinch the ID. Black Walnut is a very dark wood, darker than other common woods of the eastern US. I don't think the slab in the second post looks like Black Walnut, at least not on my screen. It looks way too light in color.

Black Walnut is valuable wood if you get a nice, big straight tree, but around here there are tons of smaller, crooked Walnuts that end up as firewood. not every walnut is veneer quality. It burns nicely but starts to burn a little more slowly than cherry or soft maple, which are similar in BTUs.

The new slab pic is from tree pictured in the original post, pics 1 and 2. Pic 3 and 4 are the same tree, so good call on that being Black Walnut. Tree is about 10-12 inches in diameter, and 50 ft tall. Not a perfectly straight tree, but nice sections. I think I will leave some 8 foot sections whole for now.

mywaynow said:
Wood Duck said:

The new slab pic is from tree pictured in the original post, pics 1 and 2. Pic 3 and 4 are the same tree, so good call on that being Black Walnut. Tree is about 10-12 inches in diameter, and 50 ft tall. Not a perfectly straight tree, but nice sections. I think I will leave some 8 foot sections whole for now.

Paint the ends!

That tree with the bark on it looks like cottonwood to me. That's just based on the trees that I'm used to seeing, and I'm not that familiar w/most L48 species. If it is cottonwood, it burns okay, but that bark soaks up water like a sponge; you'll need to keep it dry while it seasons for it to be worth anything. If it does get soaked, the bark makes a mess when it dries and crumbles.

smokinjay said:
Trundle said:

40,80,120,180,280,400,600....Then rub it out with Olive oil on this one. This one is done and delivered! Got to find a better way to get good pic's of it.

Why not use mineral oil rather than olive oil? Olive/Vegetable Oil will eventually go rancid from what I've read.

project240 said:
smokinjay said:
Trundle said:

Why not use mineral oil rather than olive oil? Olive/Vegetable Oil will eventually go rancid from what I've read.

Yea I look into that as well. Most will say they have been using olive for a very long time with no issue. It was my mothers choice. We also have bee wax that gf will use on items that are sold for that reason only.

smokinjay said:

The wide white layer is Sapwood, Cambium is only a thin layer between sapwood and bark. 25 years as forester and Sawmill owner

nrford said:
smokinjay said:

The wide white layer is Sapwood, Cambium is only a thin layer between sapwood and bark. 25 years as forester and Sawmill owner

+1

Thistle said:
nrford said:
smokinjay said:

+1

Sweet close enough you knew what I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.