A HUGE thank you to Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
When we moved into our house 6 years ago the crown on the chimney had to be repaired which came with a 5 year warranty but it had to be inspected each year. I was new to wood burning and wasn't comfortable cleaning my own chimney out of fear plus they needed to inspect it anyway. So for 5 years I ponied up between $85 and $110 (depending on the time of year I called).

So last year, the last year on the warranty, the chimney guy told me I burn such a clean/hot fire I could go every other year with cleaning. Well, this was enough to push me over the edge and today I swept our chimney, easy as could be! Took off the cap, leaned a 3' ladder against the chimney, and swept away. I ended with about 2 cups of ash and only about 2 tbs of flaky creosote mixed in.

For those on the edge, just do it!!!!

f v

Reactions: tarzan
Wow that is an extremely cheap cleaning price

Wow that is an extremely cheap cleaning price

It's about the going price here. Of course I live in a ranch so that might be part of it.

fv

We (I) do
Cleaning was a big consideration when doing our install.
Straight shot. Looking down from the cap U can see inside the box.
Ranch/ short stack. Easy to scrub out.

CheaperThanTheDollarMenu

Last edited by a moderator:
Did mine for the first time ever this past Saturday. Took me less than an hr..getting up on the roof, taking the cap off, cleaning,,clean up.

Got about a half gallon of creosote.

See, it was easy. Top down is the easiest. If you can get to the top.

Reactions: fireview2788
Status
Not open for further replies.