A little birch and maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Had a chance to start cleaning up some white birch and red maple over the past couple of weeks. All wood is from the ice storm blow downs we had here back in December of 2008. The birch limbs were already mainly punk (even though they were several feet off the ground). The red maple was almost all solid (also off the ground) and pretty dry. Quite a bit more than this to process and haul home. I decided to split in the woods in order to pack the sled tighter - I'm hauling this stuff out by hand - about 50 meters to a driveway, but mainly downhill. This load is mainly white birch with about 20% red maple. Lots more already cut and bucked - just need to split. Another cherry to buck (dropped it last week) and a few red maple to buck/split. Lots more I could take, but this spot is a bear to haul wood through - very hilly and lots of soft mud, etc. I'm going to take the best/easiest stuff and the rest will stay. More pictures to come as the haul takes shape. I'm working now on the last of 2015/2016 - and some of this haul will begin 2016/2017. I'll likely burn this stuff sooner - in a couple years - since I have a lot of red oak in the stacks and I'll use this birch and maple to make the oak last longer. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 231
Looks good NH_Wood, looks like you have less snow than us.

Nice job
Zap

zapny said:
Looks good NH_Wood, looks like you have less snow than us.

Nice job
Zap

Thanks Zap - yes, very little snow now (except for banks) - mostly down to a layer of packed snow/ice - most of the woods is free of snow, but I'm hauling this on a big plastic sled and a little snow would be nice to make the pull a little easier! Cheers!

Nice work NH. That must be a bear hauling that out by hand. The birch sounds quite normal. What the heck is that yellow box?

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice work NH. That must be a bear hauling that out by hand. The birch sounds quite normal. What the heck is that yellow box?

Dennis - yep, won't be fun, but good exercise. The yellow box is a small Pelican case for storing my camera - I take my camera into the field for wildlife research - the box keeps it safe and dry. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.