A little buckin and stackin goin down today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
buckin 006.jpgbuckin 007.jpgbuckin 008.jpgbuckin 006.jpgbuckin 007.jpg Bucked and stacked this today,16 feet long 7 feet tall,mostly cherry,locust and white oak have at least 10 more rows to go no splittin till winter.

Attachments

• buckin 009.jpg
    buckin 009.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 123
That's a nice rank of roundwood there. It would be interesting to see if a stack of rounds shrink in height as much as a stack of splits when it dries out. The rows of splits here are alot shorter than I recall when stacking 'em up.

I still prefer to get it split before stacking it.

Reactions: ScotO
I love to split my wood as soon as I get it bucked up. That said, the walnut we cut last week is sitting back in ROUNDS. We had to get the rounds off of that job site so we can mill the logs there tomorrow evening. I HATE having almost two cord of rounds sitting around. The sooner you get it split up the better if you ask me. Every day it sits out there is a day it can be drying out. Rounds simply do not dry out anywhere near as quickly as a split. We will be splitting them up by the end of the week.....

ohlongarm, nice work on your firewood. I try to split it after I buck it up, two winters ago I hauled it out in rounds then threw it in a pile, never again.

zap

Nice...but I don't quite get why you thought just one picture of the pile of wood might not tell the story. Why 5 more pictures of the same pile of wood? :rolleyes:

Nice...but I don't quite get why you thought just one picture of the pile of wood might not tell the story. Why 5 more pictures of the same pile of wood? :rolleyes:
What one person sees in one picture ,another may not. better to have a few from different angles to show.Thanks for the feedback men,most are in favor of splitting then stacking. If I was in a bind, I would but I easily have 5 years on hand ready to burn.Probably end up doing double work,but it's work I enjoy. The next couple months will be spent acquiring as there's plenty more where that came from.

One nice thing about those rounds is there's no bark on a lot of them. They will stay solid for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.