Synthetic roofing underlayment for firewood topcover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I tried searching but no luck. Normally I use 10' wide, black, 6 mil visqueen folded over so a double layer of black plastic held down with mason string stapled to the sides of the woodstack. The 10' wide strip is then 5' wide which hangs over a nice foot or so on each side of my double wide row of 16" splits. It actually works pretty well and costs about 40 cents per foot of cover.

I see the new roofing underlayment is 4 feet wide. White. and really thin but costs about the same per running foot. It would be single layer and thinner than the plastic. Hangover would only be like 4-6" so a little shorter.

Does anybody have experience covering firewood with synthetic underlayment? It's kind of like a thin tarp with tyvek glued on. Big box stores sell it.

My rows are 50' long, 5' tall, and 32" wide and this top cover will get snow, ice, and wind but no debris since there are no trees.

Is this future firewood for 2024-25? I ask because IIRC you built a nice shed for the current season. This has me wondering if you have tried not covering a stack but instead leaving it exposed to the elements for a year, then moving it into the shed for a final dry-out during the summer.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Is this future firewood for 2024-25? I ask because IIRC you built a nice shed for the current season. This has me wondering if you have tried not covering a stack but instead leaving it exposed to the elements for a year, then moving it into the shed for a final dry-out during the summer.

The shed is full with 11 cords of doug fir all ready to burn. Then, I went and bought a log truck of maple a few weeks ago and had to stack it outside. Can't bear to leave it out in our rain all winter so I want to cover it. Not sure if I'll move it into the shed next summer or refill the shed with another log load. Log loads are a lot of fun and a quick 10 cords of firewood.

I plan on getting into selling a bit. Maybe 5 cords a year but in smaller increments like 1/3 cord at a time. This all started when the food bank became interested in bundles of firewood.

Reactions: hobbyheater
The stack that needs a cover. Two rows. 90’ length total. Plus full shed in back.

09404677-B84C-4BEB-8C9D-B0B09F2A05D2.jpeg

Is it rated to be in the sun uncovered for a period of time?

I siliconed a scrap piece of Grace ice and water shield over a broken open trailer skylight a few years ago. It’s still holding. It’s rated for a year uncovered.

Boy are those nice and neat stacks!

I personally wouldn’t use it for that. I had my roof redone a few years back and they used the certainteed version of that underlayment. It’s a lot nicer than felt paper but think of it this way would you use felt paper to cover your stacks? If not don’t use this stuff. It’s basically a tarp version of felt paper

I mention this because I left a stack of split hardwood uncovered for a season and it was fine. It still dried and went in the shed the next summer. If the stacks are mostly doug fir, then I think they would be ok uncovered for a season. They are out in the open so concerns about leaves building up on top of them don't appear to be an issue.

For a no cost cover, what about the coverings the mills and lumber yards use for covering dimensional lumber and often discard? With a black underside and printed white upper they can be cut to fit. Double hem the overhangs and tack staple them right to the stacked wood.

Reactions: all night moe
Call around to places that do billboards. When they change out the billboards they need to get rid of existing old signs. Most are made from vinyl.

Found the synthetic underlayment, basically light tarp glued to some sort of tyvek for 70$ per 250’ roll. It’s working just fine so far. Front row I used up the last of my visqueen which is much more expensive but also available at big box stores.

Had to put some metal roofing somewhere so put in over about half of the underlayment stack.

D4AABA76-AB3E-419A-9CAE-0880FCB52E8C.jpeg 0EF4BDA4-071E-4512-87A8-09A85562C27C.jpeg EBBC4DBF-B08A-4B8C-BEA3-6E9A8C283172.jpeg

Reactions: weee123
Im curious to see how it holds up longterm over say a year

I tried searching but no luck. Normally I use 10' wide, black, 6 mil visqueen folded over so a double layer of black plastic held down with mason string stapled to the sides of the woodstack. The 10' wide strip is then 5' wide which hangs over a nice foot or so on each side of my double wide row of 16" splits. It actually works pretty well and costs about 40 cents per foot of cover.

I see the new roofing underlayment is 4 feet wide. White. and really thin but costs about the same per running foot. It would be single layer and thinner than the plastic. Hangover would only be like 4-6" so a little shorter.

Does anybody have experience covering firewood with synthetic underlayment? It's kind of like a thin tarp with tyvek glued on. Big box stores sell it.

My rows are 50' long, 5' tall, and 32" wide and this top cover will get snow, ice, and wind but no debris since there are no trees.
That's all I've ever used , top cover one year and then it goes inside a building where it virtually will last indefinitely.
I had oak,hickory and locust abot 15 cords top covered a year this past April, just moved it all inside all wood was between 16 and 20% moisture and I split large 6 to 10 inch thick splits.The stuff is great and will last a very long time,use a staple gun to secure to piles.

That's all I've ever used , top cover one year and then it goes inside a building where it virtually will last indefinitely.
I had oak,hickory and locust abot 15 cords top covered a year this past April, just moved it all inside all wood was between 16 and 20% moisture and I split large 6 to 10 inch thick splits.The stuff is great and will last a very long time,use a staple gun to secure to piles.
The synthetic underlayment is all you’ve ever used? I didn’t know it was even on the market. The last roofs I’ve helped with we rolled old fashioned tar paper.

I use old draper belt from combines. I still work part time for a John Deere dealership and when the tech's are changing out worn ones I ask them to save them for me. They are heavy rubber and the wind here in Kansas normally won't blow them off and will last longer than I will. Find a dealership and ask them to save some for you. I'll get some photos when it gets light outside.