A little gift from the firewood Gods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
I'm working in NJ about 1.5 hours from home, Thursday afternoon in the wind storm my wife sends me this picture and says she can't get out the driveway. My 70 yr old lazy FIL, who happens to live with us, takes his 2WD 94 GMC 2500 and tries to drag it out of the way lol. Then he takes a hand saw and tries cutting it, then the come-along comes out. Meanwhile I get my neighbor on the phone, been a lifelong friend, and he grabs his 028 and makes quick work of it.

He then gets my wife to drag the logs up the driveway to my "processing" area with my F150. It snapped about 25' up so I will have to drop the rest of this ~16" Ash and there's another less than 10' from it I've been keeping an eye on to drop in the next few weeks. Thanking the good Lord for great friends, and even more so nobody was under it when it broke. This pic is from the driveway and where the log lays is on the "bridge" over my creek which is about a 9' drop. Looks like I have some work to do during Christmas week :)
IMG_0312.JPG

Last edited:
Only thing better is if it fell right into the processing area. Glad no one was hurt, nice early Christmas present.

Reactions: D8Chumley
This belongs in the "you might be a firewood junkie" thread. grateful for a tree down across the drive and additional work is definitely finding the silver lining. we all need neighbors like that. you must be living right...

We've been friends for 30 some years, we have only been neighbors for the last 10. But yes it is good to have friends like that. I only asked him to cut enough to get the driveway open for my wife, the rest was him being a great friend. I got home around 7pm that night and was thankful I didn't have to cut my way in

Merry Christmas! Good lookin BTU's right there

Thanks Jay, Merry Christmas to all Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Looks good! Did the ash borer do it in first or just wind? Merry Christmas to you and yours too

Yes the borer got it. The top limbs were dropping so I was going to drop that and the one next to it while I'm off Christmas week. The bark on the West side was flaking off a little but it still had leaves. I still have the bottom 20+' to drop but that's not until I drop the 60 footer next to it

I still have about six Ash that have not been bothered, although I see the purple traps in a lot of trees in my area

IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0317.JPG

Working on a triple Ash blowdown 50' from the house today, average 12-14". I'll split it over the next few weeks, still have the other one to finish cutting and splitting

Not a bad way to spend the day, plus the weather doesn't look to bad.

HH it was a beautiful day! Spent half of it running around with the wife and kids, had dinner plans last night with extended family so mid day it was 60* here and I grabbed one of the saws. It felt good to burn through 2 tanks of gas and get the old muscles some work
Edit: this one I cut had the borer holes too

Reactions: heavy hammer
The weather has been pretty good the last couple of days. I was splitting yesterday morning right before I got called into work, felt good to get out and swing the maul for a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.