A little late summer splitting,about 150 red oak rounds.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do the same thing longarm, split those big ones vertical. I just make sure none of the neighbors are watching! Lol....

I'm hoping Santa brings me a peavy this winter. I'm sure my back would thank me.

Better to ask for a cant hook in my estimation.

Difference in the ends of the tool. One can do so much more with a cant hook than with a peavey. Of course if you plan on moving some logs down the river then a peavey would be your choice.

One good example was given a couple days ago about using the cant hook for moving a log. Let's say you are going to pull the log out and perhaps there is a root or stump ahead of the log. Using a cant hook on the END of the log you can lift it and move it over. With a peavey the only way you could do it is to jam the end under the log and hope you could get it far enough to then get leverage to move the log. Also, the cant hook will bite into the log when rolling whereas the peavey only bites at the hook but the cant hook bites at the hook and at the end of the bottom. Hope this makes sense to you.

If you get over this way, be sure to ask about it so I can show you more.

Reactions: wishlist
Makes perfect sense. I've looked at both online but never in person or figured out the advantages of one over the other. Good chance I won't be floating logs down the shiawassee river anytime soon so Santa needs an updated list. Lol.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I was going to ask whether that was a cant hook, I could only see the handle.
I'm looking to get a peavey or cant hook myself to make lighter work of moving bigger logs.

Must be something about getting older, I seem to look for easier ways of doing things..........;)
That peavey has a cant hook a must,look closely you can see it.

I really wish one of you vertical guys would take a video of how you maneuver a really big round to and during the splitting process. I simply can't get it through my head how moving a 50" round of oak laying on its face is very productive.

I prefer to sit on an empty five gallon bucket turned over with a lid, don't forget the old folded up towel.:)

+ 1 Actually two buckets works for me. (Long legs)

KC

Geez thats a nice pile of red oak. I love that stuff. Takes a while to season, but man it's the berries to burn. Good work!

I really wish one of you vertical guys would take a video of how you maneuver a really big round to and during the splitting process. I simply can't get it through my head how moving a 50" round of oak laying on its face is very productive.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures if we get some big stuff Jags. But that won't happen for quite some time as we split in the Spring.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.