A little review of Woodstock Soapstone, The company

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
first off I don't work for them and have dealt with them once during my recent purchase of an absolute steel hybrid tall. I can't speak for things such as efficiency and longevity of the stove as I've not had it but a couple days. What I can speak of is what it's like to Make a purchase from Woodstock.

Folks, this is how business should be done. My buying experience was incredible. I was apprehensive at first spending this kinda money on something I hadn't seen. As you can imagine, I had a few questions here and there and I received answers quickly and they were detailed. Donna was who helped guide me thru the process and she was amazing. She was pleasant, funny, informed, and had a lot of good suggestions as she learned more about me and my situation. The timeline they gave me was very accurate, the shipping crate was well built and protected the stove in every way. I had a few questions during the install and had an answer within minutes.

The stove itself is a major upgrade for my family. My friends that helped me move this HEAVY beast into my house all stood around and looked it over when we unpackaged it. It's a work of art not just a metal box you burn stuff in. One friend that helped me move it welds and was very complimentary of the welding done on this stove. You can tell it is a lifetime product and so far we are very happy. I'm still learning the burn process as this is out first CAT stove, but I'm optimistic.

The customer service so far has been top notch and other companies could learn a thing or two from WSC.

The stove veneer on the hearth isn't done yet so I'll hold off posting pics until that is done, but rest assured, it looks GOOD. So if you're in the market for a stove, you might want to give WSC a looksee, I for one am a fan.

I popped in at their factory earlier this year, and they spent over an hour with me, including a factory tour. Your post doesn't surprise me at all. I will be buying an Ideal Steel hybrid from them next year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup, I can't think of a single company large or small that pays attention to the customer, and to the quality of their products, any better than these folks do.

I was in the market for a stove about 2 years ago. I started reading different forums and liked everything I read about Woodstock. As described above the process is how buying things should be. Complete satisfaction across the board.

Last year someone was asking questions about the stove and it turned out he lived 25 minutes from me. I invited him over to check it out and to see it run because they don't have show rooms. He placed the order the next day or so. Within a few days I got a voice mail from Woodstock saying that they heard that I invited someone into my home to see one of their stoves and wanted to send me a tool set as a thanks. I didn't accept it because I'd rather see them reinvest the money back into an American business than give me a free set of stove tools. It doesn't matter if it's even 30 bucks. Every bit helps. Even though I didn't accept the tool it reinforces why I bought from them.

Sounds a lot like my experience and the stoves are a work of art, you can tell when you see it it's quality built. My sister saw mine this summer when she visited and went to their cookout and purchased one too.

I had nothing but questions and they had nothing but answers when I spoke with them! Everyone knew their product and answered with true knowledge, if they didn't, they passed me on to someone who did rather than fudge up an answer. Gotta love a company like that!

I even designed my own artwork and that was very easy and pleasurable as well. Making ever so slight of changes was no big deal to them. They truly care about their customer and their final product!!

I noticed after I raised the leg height, the side leg panels had rubbed some paint off the side of the stove itself (To be expected after 1350 mi of shipping). I gave them a call to find out the exact color so I could purchase some touch up paint, they offered to toss it in a box free of charge and ship it immediately. I said I would pay for it but they resisted, so I ordered and payed for another can of each color as long as we were at it and offered to at least pay the shipping. They refused and covered the shipping! They have my respect for sure and I know where my next stove will be coming from!! And I haven't even used my stove yet, they have me sold on customer service and good reputation of product alone!!

My Absolute Steel 'Rustic' from woodstock has served us well during our first winter in our new small home here in Missouri. I ditto the positive expressions from others in dealing with the company. The stove gets all positive comments from visitors.

Attachments

• 20170206_104231.jpg
    20170206_104231.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 743
upload_2018-4-4_10-47-48.jpeg
We’ve had our stove for 2 winters now and it’s been great. We purchased the tall version and I gotta say, that’s been the best option. Not having to bend over so far is nice. I’m not old and decrepit but still, nice feature. It looks great and has provided some long burn times. It’s nice to not have to get up to load the stove and have a good bed of coals to start up in the morning. We are planning to move and will be building a simpler, smaller home so I may or may not get another, but I’ll post up a separate post about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 225349
We’ve had our stove for 2 winters now and it’s been great. We purchased the tall version and I gotta say, that’s been the best option. Not having to bend over so far is nice. I’m not old and decrepit but still, nice feature. It looks great and has provided some long burn times. It’s nice to not have to get up to load the stove and have a good bed of coals to start up in the morning. We are planning to move and will be building a simpler, smaller home so I may or may not get another, but I’ll post up a separate post about that.
How many square feet are you heating?? I like that tall version.

Reactions: Gumbyagain
Love Woodstock Soapstone Company. They truly know how to run a business, provide a quality product, and a high level of customer service!

Just put a down payment on a Woodstock Ideal Steel today! My experience with the company has been exactly as people have already described here. They are a model of how all businesses should be run, and yet in this day and age it is so rare to find any company, big or small, that operates like this. In addition to making amazing products, they are completely attentive, helpful, informed and informative, and friendly. And, they act like this even if you don't know if you will end up purchasing something from them or not, during the purchasing process, and after! I took a two hour and fifteen minute drive (each direction) last week to visit Woodstock and spent An hour or two touring their factory, seeing how their stoves are built, and talking with the people who build and sell the stoves - super cool experience! Can wait to run my IS next season!

We went to the factory on a Saturday in January and got a tour of the quiet factory and got to select which color Fireview suits us best. I ordered as soon as the spring sale started and I’ll be picking it up later this month. Penny has done a great job guiding our purchase so far. I’m already looking forward to the next heating season.

Am I the only one that seems to have a hard time navigating there website?

No, for such a quality company, their website leaves a LOT to be desired. They could sell even more if they’d pay someone to streamline their site. It’s absurdly dated, pieced together and if I’m honest, it was almost enough to make me buy elsewhere. I decided to call them and that was the difference. The emails and personalized touch was what sold me on them and I’m glad I did. I’m not normally that tolerant of a poor website, especially in this day and age. They really are shooting themselves in the foot by not hiring someone to redo it from the ground up. Lucky for them, their reputation is very good and for good reason.

I love my Woodstock stove after owning many high end stoves in my lifetime.
They really are shooting themselves in the foot
I've noticed this also. But my only reasoning is that they don't want to grow too big. I've been in the film/video business my whole life and when I was forced into buying one of their stoves (the only unit that would fit my situation) it dawned on me that there is a story here. A real honest true successful story. Then when I heard of the Navajo project I said wow, what an even better story. That story in and of itself could have been really interesting and could have sold Woodstock without selling. (yes I've seen their Navajo video)
But here's the problem. Producing good story telling is not easy. And in the age of Utube where all you need is a cell phone to create instant imagery, good storytelling often is being watered down.

Called Woodstock and talked with Penny....ordered an Ideal Steel today....last day of sale? Replacing a 90's Dutchwest Consolidated. Hoping for many years of good heat.

Long time Lurker, Avid reader and finally signed up to become a member. This week I too ordered an Ideal Steel after months of research and measuring. I was like others, put off by the website not being Mobile friendly and having to chase links all over the place. Plus the Progress hybrid stove I really wanted I could not justify to the wife on cost. I searched over the web page and internet trying to determine if Either of their larger stoves would fit under my 31 inch lintel with rear exhaust. Finally in desperation I called. I forget who I spoke with but they told me I could set the legs down one notch, still get the ash pan and it would just clear my lintel! Score! I couldn't do that with a Jotul F50 that was a half inch too tall.
Their 40 Year sale was wrapping up but I got in on the deal on Wednesday and in ordering the "works" package got lots of add-ons. I was planning on getting their Navajo designed ash bucket after watching their video and they threw that in as well.

I agree with everyone's statements above, their service is top notch. Now I just have to remember when they call to finalize my bill to add a Stove thermometer.

Reactions: KennyK
Long time Lurker, Avid reader and finally signed up to become a member. This week I too ordered an Ideal Steel after months of research and measuring. I was like others, put off by the website not being Mobile friendly and having to chase links all over the place. Plus the Progress hybrid stove I really wanted I could not justify to the wife on cost. I searched over the web page and internet trying to determine if Either of their larger stoves would fit under my 31 inch lintel with rear exhaust. Finally in desperation I called. I forget who I spoke with but they told me I could set the legs down one notch, still get the ash pan and it would just clear my lintel! Score! I couldn't do that with a Jotul F50 that was a half inch too tall.
Their 40 Year sale was wrapping up but I got in on the deal on Wednesday and in ordering the "works" package got lots of add-ons. I was planning on getting their Navajo designed ash bucket after watching their video and they threw that in as well.

I agree with everyone's statements above, their service is top notch. Now I just have to remember when they call to finalize my bill to add a Stove thermometer.

Congrats @Gumbyagain! I know you're excited and I am too! If all goes according to plan, I'll be posting pics here pretty soon of my Ideal Steel! Looking forward to seeing yours too. The IS comes with one stovetop thermometer and I decided to also purchase a cat thermometer and a double wall vent pipe thermometer. Also, if you need any venting, you can probably still get 20% off, which was part of their sale too. In addition to the ash bucket, you will probably get a free tool set. There is a tool hanger that you can get to go on the side of the stove, which I believe is $20 extra, you may want to call them and ask about any possible extras. They told me I didn't really need the cat thermometer, but I've read too many threads about people who feel they are very useful, so I figured it was worth the $30. What colors/design didn't you settle on? I am getting charcoal with copper accents and a bunch of custom artwork!

Congrats @Gumbyagain! I know you're excited and I am too! If all goes according to plan, I'll be posting pics here pretty soon of my Ideal Steel! Looking forward to seeing yours too. The IS comes with one stovetop thermometer and I decided to also purchase a cat thermometer and a double wall vent pipe thermometer. Also, if you need any venting, you can probably still get 20% off, which was part of their sale too. In addition to the ash bucket, you will probably get a free tool set. There is a tool hanger that you can get to go on the side of the stove, which I believe is $20 extra, you may want to call them and ask about any possible extras. They told me I didn't really need the cat thermometer, but I've read too many threads about people who feel they are very useful, so I figured it was worth the $30. What colors/design didn't you settle on? I am getting charcoal with copper accents and a bunch of custom artwork!
@KennyK
Wife wanted one of their existing designs number ORN005. I can't recall the name of the leaf....I wanted to do a dual color but she insisted on Charcoal. I looked their website over for that tool holder thanks for the reminder I want to add it.

Reactions: KennyK
@KennyK
Wife wanted one of their existing designs number ORN005. I can't recall the name of the leaf....I wanted to do a dual color but she insisted on Charcoal. I looked their website over for that tool holder thanks for the reminder I want to add it.

I'm sure it's going to look great! You could talk with the wife about considering keeping the charcoal body but adding black accents. The two colors are similar and keep the simpler look she may want, but adds just a little contrast which could be nice (the Woodstock folks told me the charcoal is a very good color for the body as it's more forgiving that the black in regards to showing dust and ash). Just a thought. Here's an image of a charcoal with all black accents I got of the Internet. Woodstock will do any or all accent parts a different color, so you could have just the door black, just the side panels, just the artwork, etc. or any combo. If you do go for this, keep in mind what color you want the handles/levers - there are four that can be any color: door handle, cat bypass, air intake, and ashpan door handle. Just some things to consider (clearly I spent way too much time thinking about all this for my stove! :rolleyes:) Also, there are a few other possible accessories, like the towel/glove/whatever warmer that connects to the side, which I think is $40, and perhaps others. A quick phone call to Woodstock, and they will happily talk you through all of this. Penny has been working with me on my design.

IMG_3024.JPG

I'm sure it's going to look great! You could talk with the wife about considering keeping the charcoal body but adding black accents. The two colors are similar and keep the simpler look she may want, but adds just a little contrast which could be nice (the Woodstock folks told me the charcoal is a very good color for the body as it's more forgiving that the black in regards to showing dust and ash). Just a thought. Here's an image of a charcoal with all black accents I got of the Internet. Woodstock will do any or all accent parts a different color, so you could have just the door black, just the side panels, just the artwork, etc. or any combo. If you do go for this, keep in mind what color you want the handles/levers - there are four that can be any color: door handle, cat bypass, air intake, and ashpan door handle. Just some things to consider (clearly I spent way too much time thinking about all this for my stove! :rolleyes:) Also, there are a few other possible accessories, like the towel/glove/whatever warmer that connects to the side, which I think is $40, and perhaps others. A quick phone call to Woodstock, and they will happily talk you through all of this. Penny has been working with me on my design.

View attachment 226159
@KennyK
Called Penny today with my shipping address and changed my color scheme to what you posted. The wife will just have to get used to it. I added the tool holder and the cat probe. If I decide to order anything layer on I am certain it won't be any issue to get my hands on whatever I may desire.

Reactions: chance04