A little vacation fireplace issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sailrmike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2017
Hi folks,
Up at a ski resort in Vermont, raining , yay! Condo, first floor fireplace not burning, but sure smells like fresh smoke. I mean pungent, my eyes are watering sitting here in living room. My guess is air cooled fireplace is down drafting around unit (smell is coming from below unit), and upstairs occupants are burning a lovely Greenwood fire. Thinking of putting a blanket in front to try to block smell. I have to sleep in living room tonight. Any suggestions other than checking damper?

Heat the flue: Burn a fire, run a space heater in the fireplace, turn up the heat inside.

Supply air from somewhere else: Crack a window near whatever is pulling the air through the flue now (might be a furnace, exhaust fan, dryer, etc.)

Keep the damper shut for all of the above except the burning a fire one. ;)

These dream vacations make the grind of a full-time job seem almost worth it, don't they? ;)

Build a big old fire! You are on vacation after all!
Yeah, but that's tossing heat outside, and may melt the small amount of snow that is left. ;lol

Thanks for all of the replies! Didn't feel like stoking up a fire since my friends had already gone to bed so I just pretended I was camping while drifting off to sleep. Will be warming that flu today!!