A little wood working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
Finished getting all my wood in for the winter last night. I love not having to battle the cold and snow to grab an arm load of wood.

My boy and I were working on some heat for the 2018/19 season this evening.

-SF

d21745b23ad520e7d5d71dd2697e10b4.jpg

1c92c8487762823b769996b0e04de1e2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

How much wood can you fit inside? I keep some in my garage but just a few days' supply. I find that it dries pretty well there over the winter.

P.S. Beautiful area!

77B86BB6-00D9-489E-9E7E-B96DD1828614_zps1dxavtsn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I also store my wood inside. Hopefully will finish getting it in today. When finished I'll have 3-4 cord. I told (asked nicely) the wife not to touch it until the snow flys. I'll bring in enough for a day or two until the white stuff is here.

Reactions: SlyFerret
SF - that's a pretty cool looking splitter, is it custom? care to share the specs?

How much wood can you fit inside? I keep some in my garage but just a few days' supply. I find that it dries pretty well there over the winter.

P.S. Beautiful area!
I can fit 3 cords. Enough for the whole season! The size of the space was planned that way.

The stuff in there is a little over 2 years seasoned. Nice and dry going in and it will stay that way all winter. It's so nice not having to fight with my fuel.

Area is northern Delaware County, Ohio. It's a pretty great spot we managed to find here.

-SF

Reactions: Jeffm1
My dad built it for me. I'll post specs and more pics tomorrow.

-SF
Here are some pics:
https://goo.gl/photos/JTDLcYngkbbhdXzs9

Kohler engine, new when my dad built the splitter a few years ago.

It has a monster 4" hydraulic cylinder that drives the wedge. The wedge has a couple triangular flanges on the sides set back a bit from the less aggressive point. It works well to pop the splits apart. There are two smaller cylinders on the sides that raise and lower the big I-beam. The cylinders came from Craigslist. The rest of the hydraulic controls and pump were in eBay.

It needs new tires. They were scrounged from some other old piece of equipment that he found somewhere, I'm guessing Craigslist.

-SF

Pretty awesome splitter!

Pretty awesome splitter!
Yeah, it is pretty great. The downside is that it weighs an absolute freaking ton. I don't think my dad has ever built anything that wasn't completely overkill!

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.