A load of wood and some ID's!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
I came home today to a few loads of wood from my tree guy piled up in the side yard. I've already determnined on here that abot half of it is silver maple, but Im not sure about the rest of it. Most of the rest is this wood, which Im thinking is some kind of elm, what do you guys say?

IMG_8193.jpg IMG_6862.jpg
IMG_2885.jpg IMG_2055.jpg

Theres a little bit of pin oak, and a few of these rounds as well. When I first split a smaller round I thought maybe walnut, but the larger rounds closer to the trunk are totally white...

IMG_1303.jpg IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2214.jpg

Heres what I ended up getting bucked up this evening. There two loads of similar rounds already stacked out back::-)

IMG_0900.jpg

Thanks for the help!

looks a lot like black cherry. But not as well.

It doesnt split like other cherry Ive had, and it doesnt have the smell. The cut faces have turned a deep purple now after being exposed to the air

I'm just gonna start guessing Catalpa from now on - eventually I'll be right. :p The bark shot does almost look catalpa-ish, but probably some sort of elm. Definitely not cherry.

I think the first wood with the dark orange center is Mulberry. I think the next wood with the dark streaky center might be elm, but I am not quite sure.

Pics at top look like Silver Maple.

Center pic of 3 with red maul looks like cottonwood. Was that one light weight and hard to split?

In the pile pic, the stuff on the right with the irregular dark center is some type of Maple, I would guess....

Status
Not open for further replies.