1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

A money making item for sure

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by muncybob, Dec 12, 2012.

1. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Went into my local TSC yesterday and noticed they have cord wood split and for sale just outside the front doors. My numbers are not exact here(good ole lack of memory) but it was somthing like 44 sq.ft. @ $176 each......my math says that's over $500 per cord. I guess the occasional fireplace burner may be their customer. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to sell it.
    I wonder what the moisture content is :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Should ask them if you can borrow a moisture meter off the shelf and test one of the logsplitters out.

I do this to the car dealer down the road when they have a badazz new GMC duramax sitting out front....ah joyrides==c
    Bacffin and albert1029 like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Maybe you could start selling them some of your good wood Bob?
  4. muncybob

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    NEVER!!
    There have been times when I wanted a new "toy" and knew my wood stacks were a quick source of funds but,I doubt I can ever bring myself to selling some of my hard earned wood, although I have donated a cord or two to those that could use it in their time of need...a different kind of payback I guess.
    PA Fire Bug, smokinj, Bacffin and 2 others like this.
  5. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Did it looked like it was kiln dried?
    TreePointer likes this.
  6. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    a sentiment shared by many, I'm sure...
  7. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    That was my first question, too. Most large chain stores around here sell .0.75 cu.ft. bundles (about 6 sticks) of kiln dried wood for $5, and that works out to be ~$850/cord. Note that it's in packaging that, by state law, must contain a label with manufacturer's information. That all adds to cost in labor, materials, and likely more equipment.
  8. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    I bought a cord of wood from my local Agway last year and they had no clue when it was split, how seasoned it was or even what types of wood was in the pile. It is/was a new market to them and the first year they offered it as far as I know. My guess is TSC is competing with this market. The price was decent for around here at 200 delivered (contractor pricing). I had to let it sit until this year because it was to wet to burn last year , but it's cooking now. Mostly maple and oak which is understandable around here.

Once they see the market, they will be in line with Agway.

My 2 cents
  9. muncybob

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Not sure what kiln dried wood looks like...actually didn't pay a lot of attention to the wood after the sticker shock. Next visit there I'll look it over a bit better.