A note from my local fire department

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmule

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Conifer Colorado
I received this little tid bit of information from my local fire department.

Inter-Canyon Fire & Rescue
According to the State Fire Service, the rains of August still have not helped the fuel moisture levels as much as was hoped. 1000 hour fuels (large standing dead trees) are in the 6%-16% levels. For comparison, KILN-DRIED lumber at the hardware stores are around 16%. Please maintain fire awareness around your community.

Looks like first time burners in my area can CSS now and be ready for this winter if they are cutting beetle killed pine.

My wife's parents almost lost their brand spanking new home in the High Park fires up in Larimer. It was just crazy how the houses to either side of them were burnt to nothingness and their home made it out with minimal damage. The charred trees were quite a sight. I hate the mess that bark makes, but can you imagine the mess that a tree with 1/4" of char on the outside would make when you tried to carry an armful in?

My wife's parents almost lost their brand spanking new home in the High Park fires up in Larimer. It was just crazy how the houses to either side of them were burnt to nothingness and their home made it out with minimal damage. The charred trees were quite a sight. I hate the mess that bark makes, but can you imagine the mess that a tree with 1/4" of char on the outside would make when you tried to carry an armful in?

Glad to hear that your family members home was spared during that fire. You are right that charred wood would be like emptying out the wood stove with your bare hands.

Reactions: Danno77
Status
Not open for further replies.