A question for IR thermometer users.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Picked up an IR Kintrex you guys made me do it so now I need a few questions answered. I got the King up cruising at 600 degrees,stack temp at 210 degrees,now here's what's throwing me off at the last 45 degree pipe I'm getting a consistent reading of 1500 degrees where it enters the chimney,I know that's not possible cuz I thinks the pipe would be cherry red at that temp.Pipe is double wall,again the stovepipe from where it leaves the stove to where it takes 2 45's is a constant 200,212 degrees reads out max.The last 45 as it enters the chimney reads 1500/MAX on the IR.Am I missing something?I have it in Fahrenheit mode ,another note my temp range per the Kintrex manual shows an operating range of 32 to 122 F,a measurement range of -76,to 932 F I'm confused . Thanks for any help.

Try and get closer to it?

When measuring shiny surfaces, such as aluminum and stainless steel, the reflectivity of the surface will skew the reading of an IR thermometer unless you accommodate for it. Either coat surfaces such as griddles or cooking pans with a non-stick cooking spray before you take your reading, or place a small piece of masking tape on the metal surface and measure the taped area.

Is this pipe shiny or black? My IR does funny stuff if I try and take the temp of shiny metal.

pen

ohlongarm said:
Picked up an IR Kintrex you guys made me do it so now I need a few questions answered. I got the King up cruising at 600 degrees,stack temp at 210 degrees,now here's what's throwing me off at the last 45 degree pipe I'm getting a consistent reading of 1500 degrees where it enters the chimney,I know that's not possible cuz I thinks the pipe would be cherry red at that temp.Pipe is double wall,again the stovepipe from where it leaves the stove to where it takes 2 45's is a constant 200,212 degrees reads out max.The last 45 as it enters the chimney reads 1500/MAX on the IR.Am I missing something?I have it in Fahrenheit mode ,another note my temp range per the Kintrex manual shows an operating range of 32 to 122 F,a measurement range of -76,to 932 F I'm confused . Thanks for any help.

The "operating range" is the ambient temp of the space you are in. In other words, you can use it when it is 32º out right on up to 122º. That seems kinda high on the low end of the range. Seems you should be able to walk outside in the winter and shoot your wood pile to see how warm the sun is getting it. :smirk:

On the other point of confusion, I haven't a clue. Seems wacky that you are displaying a temp that is well above the upper end of the temp measuring range.

My stove pipe is black,and I'm shooting from about 3 to 10 feet. Another note I shot the inside of my freezer from 2 feet and it read 5 below 0.

ohlongarm said:
My stove pipe is black,and I'm shooting from about 3 to 10 feet. Another note I shot the inside of my freezer from 2 feet and it read 5 below 0.

The D:S ratio on that unit is only 12:1, so the size of the "spot" at 10 feet away is a whopping 10 inches across... way wider than your pipe.

The freezer temp seems normal to me unless it is a good chest freezer. You usually can't get a fridge/freezer combo to go much lower than what you are seeing because it would freeze the stuff in the refrigerator part. Frozen lettuce is no fun to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.