A roof, a Roof, my kingdom for a roof . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Excavated a spot for wood storage attched to my boiler room this summer, but as yet haven't put up a roof. Cut up about 1 1/2 cord of scrounged Oak this weekend, but with the rain coming, I knew much of it would be ice covered soon.

So I found a use for pine! :cheese:

Cut and split ~1/2 cord and dumped it on top of the pile of Oak. In the upper 30's here, so wet/icy Pine heats just fine.

I think my wood seasons just fine without a roof, but the stacks do get snowy, and even worse, icy without a roof. In this climate, most of the winter you can count on uncovered wood stacks being frozen together. I was splitting rounds today and even after almost a week of warm (30s and 40s) weather, there is still ice between the rounds.

0110101101cc.jpg

Three pallets on the ground, three pallets upright, stringers to attach upright pallets, stringers on the top w/ three pallets sitting on stringers. Add tarp. Tie on a length of conduit. Equals: Covered storage that works!

Shari

Shari said:
0110101101cc.jpg

Three pallets on the ground, three pallets upright, stringers to attach upright pallets, stringers on the top w/ three pallets sitting on stringers. Add tarp. Tie on a length of conduit. Equals: Covered storage that works!

Shari

More pictures!
More explanation!

Please :)

Hi -

The above looks nice!

My Dad and a buddy scrounged some used boat covers. Some are white, some blue. Much of the shrink wrap type is waste but on the whole they work well. I stack into 8' x 8' x 5' high stacks and then cover the top and weather side in the fall. Much nicer fetching wood that's not frozen together and ice covered!

ATB,
Mike

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
More pictures!
More explanation!

Please :)

I've posted before but you asked:

woodpile_covered1a.jpg

This is the same stack sans snow. The landscape block is only for 'looks' and does nothing to support the woodpile. The idea of the conduit tied to the tarp is twofold: This side of the tarp is not 'tied down' so the weight of the conduit holds the tarp down in the wind and allows easy lifting of the tarp. When I need wood I just lift the conduit and lay it on top of the stack for access - when done taking out wood, just lower the conduit.

woodpile_covered2a.jpg

Above is detail on the 'roof'. The area shown has a couple of bricks (but 2x4's would work also) added to allow water runoff to the left of the stack.

P1010028.jpg

Above is a different stack sans 'roof' and tarp.

Shari

Probably should also add: The 'roof' is not screwed down or anything - it just sits there with it's own weight holding it down. Come summer I can simply remove the roof for summer seasoning if needed. It is also easier to add wood to the stacks without the 'roof'.

Side benefit: Our city overly regulates sometimes but does not consider these wood stacks a 'building'. If I were to construct a 'building' it could only be 10 x 12. Stacking the way I do I can have more wood stored than would fit inside a 10 x 12 building!

Oh, yeah, my neighbors LOVE the camouflage tarps - not such an eyesore as the standard blue tarps.

Shari

So Shari . . . with the camouflaged woodstack do you ever have a hard time finding the woodstack? ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
So Shari . . . with the camouflaged woodstack do you ever have a hard time finding the woodstack? ;) :)

Did you ever have to hide something from someone who just LOVES to call the city and complain about you? This person doesn't even live here but they make phone call like that all the time.

Nope, never have a problem finding the wood piles in the winter. :) Besides, this is 'Fall' camo not "snow" camo.

Shari

I bought a pair of cammo work boots, but after I took them out of the box and wore them, I couldn't find them again

Chris S said:
I bought a pair of cammo work boots, but after I took them out of the box and wore them, I couldn't find them again

Are you sure you're not still wearing them?

Ya'll crack me up.I can't see why the north and south can't get along.Maybe everyone needs a good since of humor.Everyone is more alike than they might care to admit.I LOVE THIS PLACE.I don't agree with some of the politcal views,but the variety is what makes this nation great.Admit it,there is some good ole boy in everyone that is burning wood,it's that self satisfaction thing knowing that you're keeping your loved ones warm,although mother nature is fighting you.

kartracer said:
Ya'll crack me up.I can't see why the north and south can't get along.Maybe everyone needs a good since of humor.Everyone is more alike than they might care to admit.I LOVE THIS PLACE.I don't agree with some of the politcal views,but the variety is what makes this nation great.Admit it,there is some good ole boy in everyone that is burning wood,it's that self satisfaction thing knowing that you're keeping your loved ones warm,although mother nature is fighting you.

Us Yankees are slowly migrating south anyways . . . 1) it's warmer . . . 2) there are jobs . . . 3) you're that much closer to Nascar country (not that I'm into Nascar).

Heck, my wife at one time was talking about wanting to move to North Carolina . . . I think the only reason she stays here in Maine is because I love the state so much.

Jake,
You probably made a good decision to stay there.Jobs here are few and far between anymore and NC has the highest taxes in the south,along with fairly high insurance premiums.Plus,the average cost for a chimney sweep around here is 150-160.Maine is beautiful,but I don't know if I could deal with the winters ya'll get-my wife doesn't like it when it is below 70 here.

kartracer said:
Jake,
You probably made a good decision to stay there.Jobs here are few and far between anymore and NC has the highest taxes in the south,along with fairly high insurance premiums.Plus,the average cost for a chimney sweep around here is 150-160.Maine is beautiful,but I don't know if I could deal with the winters ya'll get-my wife doesn't like it when it is below 70 here.

HehHeh . . . you're not just saying this to keep us Yankees where we belong are you? ;) :)

Taxes are pretty high up here as well . . . then again I don't know of too many people that would willingly say they don't mind paying the taxes that they do or their taxes are too low! ;)

Hmmm . . . $150 a sweep . . . I think that would be some mighty fine motivation for me to do my own sweeping if at all possible.

Winters . . . aw . . . they're not as bad as they used to be . . . and once you embrace the life-style and stop fighting the winter weather you'll actually enjoy the winter time (i.e. I love snowmobiling and look forward to it all year long . . . until early Spring at which point I start looking forward to ATVing . . . and for others there are the hockey games, skiing, snowshoeing, winter camping, etc.) . . . and even my snow/cold-hating wife doesn't mind winter so much now since we have a hot tub outside so she can get some fresh winter air.

Status
Not open for further replies.