A Sea of Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I went overboard. Big time. Over the past five months I have been collecting rounds....ash, oak, maple and cherry. I wanted to get at least two years ahead on wood, and let's just say, mission accomplished. I didn't realize how much had been collected, but yesterday it became evident. Four guys, two splitters and now I have enough wood to start a firewood business. Neighbors are driving by and stopping to gawk. Will post some pics after the Aleve kicks in.

Sounds like you had a little work bee.

Usually the first time even a one year supply looks huge. Two years are humgous and three are unheard of quantities. By then you begin to take a lot of pride in your wood piles, especially when you convert that into dollars. How much oil or gas would you have to pay for to get the equivalent heat that your wood pile represents? Now that wood really looks beautiful!

I am in the same boat splitter was running more than 40 hrs this week and there is still 3-5 cords to be split and 2 cords that needs stacked so 5-7 left and 6 rows 20ft by 4.5 high is done.

In my mind there is no such thing as having too much wood . . .

I have never heard of anyone hear complaining that they have too much wood and don't know what to do with it as it is all rotting away in their woodpiles.

What I do hear however is a lot of folks around this time of year lamenting the fact that they didn't cut or buy enough firewood and now have to go back to heating with oil, gas or electric heat.

I have never heard of anyone saying they only want to get ahead one year with their wood supply.

What I do hear however are a number of folks who think they have enough wood . . . and then discover that due to a particularly bad winter end up using wood they had intended to use for the next year.

I have never heard of anyone who has had so much wood that they have had to return it to the woods or toss it in the trash.

I have heard of folks who have had enough wood on hand that they were able to help out a fellow neighbor (or hearth.com member) in need . . . or sell a little on the side to help pay for their saw/splitter gas or help pay taxes.

No . . . in my mind . . . there is no such thing as having too much wood. If one has too much wood, one can always find a new home for that wood easily enough. Too much wood . . . never. Not enough wood . . . a much more common problem.

firefighterjake said:

I have never heard of anyone hear complaining that they have too much wood and don't know what to do with it as it is all rotting away in their woodpiles.

What I do hear however is a lot of folks around this time of year lamenting the fact that they didn't cut or buy enough firewood and now have to go back to heating with oil, gas or electric heat.

I have never heard of anyone saying they only want to get ahead one year with their wood supply.

What I do hear however are a number of folks who think they have enough wood . . . and then discover that due to a particularly bad winter end up using wood they had intended to use for the next year.

I have never heard of anyone who has had so much wood that they have had to return it to the woods or toss it in the trash.

I have heard of folks who have had enough wood on hand that they were able to help out a fellow neighbor (or hearth.com member) in need . . . or sell a little on the side to help pay for their saw/splitter gas or help pay taxes.

No . . . in my mind . . . there is no such thing as having too much wood. If one has too much wood, one can always find a new home for that wood easily enough. Too much wood . . . never. Not enough wood . . . a much more common problem.

come on over Jake it is possable we put in 70 some man hrs. and about 1/2 way done on mine and I have another place with 7 big trees to go! I would say I have to much wood HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a case for Woodcutters Anonymous!

Uper said:
Sounds like a case for Woodcutters Anonymous!

yes it is and I am ready to admit to it! first step of recovery! I kept thinking ok when this pile is done we are home free! 12 hrs later we found another 6 cords buried under brush and 1-2 cords of white oak rounds!

Attachments

• splitting2.jpg
    splitting2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 283
smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:

come on over Jake it is possable we put in 70 some man hrs. and about 1/2 way done on mine and I have another place with 7 big trees to go! I would say I have to much wood HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too much wood? Nah . . . you're just getting ready for Armageddon . . . or 2012 . . . or for when the next oil embargo hits.

Perhaps it's time to sell off some of that wood and buy yourself a nice toy?

firefighterjake said:
smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:

Too much wood? Nah . . . you're just getting ready for Armageddon . . . or 2012 . . . or for when the next oil embargo hits.

Perhaps it's time to sell off some of that wood and buy yourself a nice toy?

lol you read my mine! just bought a 192t and kit is pretty complete...

Hi -

I was starting to have the same though on Saturday. Then I ate supper.... and sharpened the saws and grabbed one more load. Once we get a little rain here I can't get into the woods for a couple months so it's feast of famine. I reckon I'm 2+ years ahead. The Ash bore bonanza will not last so I'm laying in in while I can.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

I was starting to have the same though on Saturday. Then I ate supper.... and sharpened the saws and grabbed one more load. Once we get a little rain here I can't get into the woods for a couple months so it's feast of famine. I reckon I'm 2+ years ahead. The Ash bore bonanza will not last so I'm laying in in while I can.

ATB,
Mike

I am sitting on 30+ cords thats will be done before may (has to!) a sea of wood...That will put me 3 years up before fall cutting.

smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:
Hi -

ATB,
Mike

I am sitting on 30+ cords thats will be done before may (has to!) a sea of wood...That will put me 3 years up before fall cutting.

I'm down to three pick-up loads of rounds not split and the back yard is looking very lonely! Of coarse I could start stacking the twenty-three loads that have been split? Also the frost has been out of the fields for almost two week and I'm getting itchy to cut some more wood!

Too much wood? I dunno if I believe in that concept. I do understand the concept of more than you have time to deal with.

Wood Duck said:
Too much wood? I dunno if I believe in that concept. I do understand the concept of more than you have time to deal with.

its a nice problem to have. We had a bon fire saturday night and with an inch of rain sunday its still smokin!

Status
Not open for further replies.