1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

A Touch of Old Red Oak

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Ralphie Boy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    The top of this red oak blew down some years ago and I just the other day got the go ahead from the land owned to take it. It's not much but it's oak. Most of the sap wood is punky or just down right rotten but the heartwood is harder than a witch's heart.==c
    DSC_0106 (664x1000).jpg DSC_0108 (1000x564).jpg
    AJS56, Thistle, ScotO and 1 other person like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    you don't want any of that sapwood anyway Ralphy.........you can burn that next year in the cool of the eve
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Cleaning up the woods & scoring some oak.
    Good days work ;)
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

red oak is red oak, whether it's a cord or a wheelbarrow load. Get it when you can, and store it away. Before you know it, you'll have a heap!
    Thistle likes this.
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Nice. Just be careful cutting those rotten ones. Not very big, but big enough to bite ya.

I cut a small, maybe 10" DBH, but tall, ash last week that surprised me. It had a bit of a lean, and when I started to pound in the short wedges, the bottom half of the rotten stump split. I scratched my head for a minute, then reached in and took a couple inches out under the face cut. It fell about 30° from where I wanted, but better than it could have went. I was in the woods, and it wouldn't have been a disaster if it went backwards, but it would've been hung.
  6. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Let that red oak punky stuff dry out. It burns better than pine.;)
    Ralphie Boy likes this.
  7. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I recently cut some red oak that had been down for years and although anything touching the ground had punky sap wood the heart was just fine. The trunk portion is 20-25" and all the 10" or so branches are perfect, solid oak. I have it all split and will stack it in a month or so when I am done cutting for the year. I already have a special place for it to sleep alone for a few years.
    ScotO likes this.
  8. westkywood

westkywood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    I just cut a couple cords of Red Oak and have another 5 cords seasoning. Gotta love it.
  9. AJS56

AJS56 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    I had a simlar experience a year or so ago. Amazing how fine the heartwood was, consideringthat the outside looked punky in many places. It is great wood to burn.