A week with the Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Well, it's been a little over a week now with the new Progress. The stove has been doing very well, I think. Me, well, I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off most of the time, between feeding the fire, checking up on it and trying to get ready for Christmas. I got the double wall pipe installed on Tuesday. Parts of the mantel are still hitting 140+ °F , this is when my stove top is running 450 °F or below. Makes me wonder what will happen if the stove top is running hotter. Anyone have any idea about mantel temps and what is no big deal? Called Woodstock and they said it was below the 115 over ambient room temp, which the EPA or UL requires. But, this is a 200 year old mantel which has seen many a fire in its day, I imagine, so who knows what its combustion point is. So, for peace of mind, they recommended and I'm thinking I will install a mantel shield and see how that works. So, I've been playing it safe and low with the fires. Mainly get it going and then add 3 splits. Today, I've worked my way up to 4 (that's when I got the 450 °F temp). Yeah, I know, I'm one helluva intrepid soul. My burn times are usually 3 - 4 hours before reload. I figure that's par for the course since I don't have that much wood in to begin with. It's gotten fairly cold here, around 15 °F and she's been keeping the furnace from running. I started running the fan today and that helped with spreading the heat where I need it. So, we're making progress ( %-P ). It's great to hear how others are doing and how they are learning to burn with it. Keep them coming, I'm learning a lot.

Thanks for the update. Exciting to hear everyone reporting what they are finding. Cant wait for you to unleash it and see how it does on a full load.

pen

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting (and am now expecting a January date). It is quite helpful to hear everyone's experiences.

I was wondering about your woodwork. We have similar fireplaces, although the Progress Hybrid will go on the kitchen hearth, which is larger and has the old finish stripped back, so there is no mantel to worry about. In the past I've used tinfoil heatshields, but this new stove is too pretty for such nonsense. I'd bet there is a way to make a heatshield that won't alter the character of your woodwork too much.

Thanks again, and keep the updates coming!

Sounds like your playing it smart, good call on the mantel shield. Keep us posted.

I agree on the shield and have suggested that to HollowHill. I say get it done before the January cold hits us. HollowHill, don't forget to occasionally sit down and take a deep breath and enjoy that heat. Christmas time can get a bit hectic if we let it. I usually tell my wife to stop and smell the roses once in a while. She feels better after doing it too.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree on the shield and have suggested that to HollowHill. I say get it done before the January cold hits us. HollowHill, don't forget to occasionally sit down and take a deep breath and enjoy that heat. Christmas time can get a bit hectic if we let it. I usually tell my wife to stop and smell the roses once in a while. She feels better after doing it too.

Funny, I usually feel better after I bite the head off of whoever made such a suggestion :vampire: :) Santa has the easy part, it's us slaving elves that really get the show on the road. Yup, hoping to get the shield installed next week.

:lol: :lol: Don't bite down too hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.