1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

about ir themometers: raytek mt6

Post in 'The Gear' started by buol, Jan 9, 2010.

1. buol

buol New Member

Loc:
    tetons, wy
    this new unit tracks closely to the oven at whatever temp is set. the vc defiant encore says to test temp at the middle of the griddle, with overfiring being over 750 degrees. i'm totally amazed. when the raytek is about this temp the conventional therm reads only about 450!! over and over i have been checking and rechecking comparisons at the griddle, the corners and nearby ambient surfaces. i don't see why anyone would waste any money on various magnetic 'thermometers', much less rely on them for temps to switch to catalytic, etc.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Just found your post on this IR temp. gun and am considering the same one for myself and wondered how it's held up.. My Condar Chimgard is new and WAY off (the old chimgard is 100 deg. higher than this one so which is correct??).. I just can't rely on it as it is so far off.. With a blazing fire my new chimgard only reads a surface temp of ~220 degrees with brand new clean single wall pipe burning DRY wood.. I find this hard to believe!

Ray
  3. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    Try holding your hand on it for a few seconds. :cheese: