About to pull the trigger on a blaze king princess 32

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WV Homestead

Dec 19, 2013
west virginia
I want this stove to be a full time burner at my home . Mainly looking at this stove in particular due to the long burn times along with versatility in controlling stove output of heat with the automatic damper. I am selling a soapstone stove and going to this stove . things i would like to ask are
how robust is this stove? will this stove last a long time with routine maintenance. or does it have fundamental problems such as hinges and latches wearing out metal easily warping? I want to know what your guys gripes are about this stove.
how easy is it to over fire this stove ? what would it take to do so ?
or is this stove the bees knees and i am making a good decision? let me know what u think
1600 sqft ranch home 16 ft flu 2 year seasoned black cherry

I’m waiting for one to be installed, from what I’ve gathered from this site there isn’t very many gripes other than thin paint. Lots of blaze king fans and good support here it seems.

I’m waiting for one to be installed, from what I’ve gathered from this site there isn’t very many gripes other than thin paint. Lots of blaze king fans and good support here it seems.
this is what i have found as well. have u experienced any delays in delivery of the stove due to covid.

I have a 12-15 hour work day so it might be tricky in my case to get a reloading cycle down that doesn’t cook us out or reload prematurely. Probably over thinking it.

I want this stove to be a full time burner at my home . Mainly looking at this stove in particular due to the long burn times along with versatility in controlling stove output of heat with the automatic damper. I am selling a soapstone stove and going to this stove . things i would like to ask are
how robust is this stove? will this stove last a long time with routine maintenance. or does it have fundamental problems such as hinges and latches wearing out metal easily warping? I want to know what your guys gripes are about this stove.
or is this stove the bees knees and i am making a good decision? let me know what u think

Whoa. I was you and made this move on the advice from this forum. So I also upgraded to the princess after running 30 cords through a soapstone noncat hearthstone heritage in my 1700SF home in a relatively moderate climate like VA. The princess32 uses the same cat as my 2012 model and as near as anyone can tell is unchanged for 2020. The test results for 2020 on this stove are excellent, like beat everyone else excellent so I really like the princess.

I am an engineer so I like facts. The failures I will list are exceedingly rare but with a stove this good, of course failures are rare. I'm a princess fan.

The stove's Achilles heel is the melt away bypass gasket retainers. They are welded in and "should" only melt away if something else fails like a door gasket allowing too much combustion air to enter. Mine failed for no apparent reason but not catastrophically and I was able to bottle jack them back into place with BK guidance. They've been good for years since. BK will tell you that this is rare but I've seen others have this problem. For this and several other reasons, simply keep your door gasket tight and in good repair. You can buy the weld in replacement retainers but it would be a difficult job.

Door gasket is mounted on top of the door glass retaining bolts. This is a bad design choice because you can't independently maintain the glass gasket and the very important door gasket is expected to absorb the underlying irregularites of many studs and nuts. Just plan on using lots of RTV to mount the new gasket and when you do a door gasket job be sure the glass gasket is good.

Hinges are stout and not known to fail. Door latch system is entirely bolt on and replaceable.

It is impossible to overfire this stove if you use firewood and the door gasket and ash plug are functional. The thermostat is a safety device that actually closes to prevent overfire. This is a big deal as I've had some tense evenings watching a noncat runaway on me. This stove is very controllable.

In conclusion, this stove is relatively unattractive but performs better than everything else. No common faults. It is the bees knees if the looks are acceptable and your heat demand aligns with the output. Mine is running now, it's 54 degrees outside and raining and we're at 73 inside burning bigleaf maple and doug fir.

Burn time is the big reason I bought this stove. It has delivered. I load once per day except for during our annual week long cold snap where I throw in a little more fuel on my way out the door in the morning and use a higher burn rate. Wood consumption has dropped 20% with the move from stone noncat to princess which is plenty of money to pay for new cats.

The cat on the princess is not known to plug and you can use the cheaper ceramic cats too.

That was kind of a puke of thoughts. I'm not one of those unicorn fart guys. I will not gloss over the weaknesses and dwell on the strengths only. Please ask if you have any more questions. The stove has really been a big upgrade for me in this home.

Whoa. I was you and made this move on the advice from this forum. So I also upgraded to the princess after running 30 cords through a soapstone noncat hearthstone heritage in my 1700SF home in a relatively moderate climate like VA. The princess32 uses the same cat as my 2012 model and as near as anyone can tell is unchanged for 2020. The test results for 2020 on this stove are excellent, like beat everyone else excellent so I really like the princess.

I am an engineer so I like facts. The failures I will list are exceedingly rare but with a stove this good, of course failures are rare. I'm a princess fan.

The stove's Achilles heel is the melt away bypass gasket retainers. They are welded in and "should" only melt away if something else fails like a door gasket allowing too much combustion air to enter. Mine failed for no apparent reason but not catastrophically and I was able to bottle jack them back into place with BK guidance. They've been good for years since. BK will tell you that this is rare but I've seen others have this problem. For this and several other reasons, simply keep your door gasket tight and in good repair. You can buy the weld in replacement retainers but it would be a difficult job.

Door gasket is mounted on top of the door glass retaining bolts. This is a bad design choice because you can't independently maintain the glass gasket and the very important door gasket is expected to absorb the underlying irregularites of many studs and nuts. Just plan on using lots of RTV to mount the new gasket and when you do a door gasket job be sure the glass gasket is good.

Hinges are stout and not known to fail. Door latch system is entirely bolt on and replaceable.

It is impossible to overfire this stove if you use firewood and the door gasket and ash plug are functional. The thermostat is a safety device that actually closes to prevent overfire. This is a big deal as I've had some tense evenings watching a noncat runaway on me. This stove is very controllable.

In conclusion, this stove is relatively unattractive but performs better than everything else. No common faults. It is the bees knees if the looks are acceptable and your heat demand aligns with the output. Mine is running now, it's 54 degrees outside and raining and we're at 73 inside burning bigleaf maple and doug fir.

Burn time is the big reason I bought this stove. It has delivered. I load once per day except for during our annual week long cold snap where I throw in a little more fuel on my way out the door in the morning and use a higher burn rate. Wood consumption has dropped 20% with the move from stone noncat to princess which is plenty of money to pay for new cats.

The cat on the princess is not known to plug and you can use the cheaper ceramic cats too.

That was kind of a puke of thoughts. I'm not one of those unicorn fart guys. I will not gloss over the weaknesses and dwell on the strengths only. Please ask if you have any more questions. The stove has really been a big upgrade for me in this home.
I have talked to you before and you have helped me. i am sold . thank you again for all your help im sure ill be msging you in the future

Reactions: Indianawood
I have the ashford 30, not the same but comparable and has same/similar sizes, cubic ft etc. to tag on to highbeam I have had no issues with this stove. There was some people who had an issue with a creo smell but I have not experienced that, just a small odor of smoke when I burn low. These stoves are very controllable; not that I’ve tried to over fire it, but as I was new to wood burning when I first got it I let this thing rip. Never had an issue even letting it burn on high etc. I suppose you could if you packed it full to the gills left it on high and just walked away from it and never touched it again...maybe then but otherwise no. I’m coming into my 3rd year with it and it’s been flawless really. I have the legs, ash pan (which I will say is quite convenient IMO) and the blower (which we hardly use as so many told me). I’m heating 1950 sq ft open plan well insulated does just fine. Just had our first cold snap single digits at night wake up to 68-75 in the house and still plenty to give from the stove. Can’t go wrong with these stoves you should be pretty happy with it. Good luck!
Edit: sorry should have clarified the creo smell was NOT in the princess model only the ashford thanks highbeam

Last edited:
i am going to go with parlor legs no ash pan and fresh air kit black door. what base are u getting?
I have to go with the pedestal to help gain height to get about a foundation wall for fresh air kit.If I had a choice, I would probably go with your choice. Maybe they could change the model name to knight. I’ve caught some slack for buying a princess ha ha.

I have to go with the pedestal to help gain height to get about a foundation wall for fresh air kit.If I had a choice, I would probably go with your choice. Maybe they could change the model name to knight. I’ve caught some slack for buying a princess ha ha.

To gain those few inches and to buy the trim level you want you could build a raised hearth. Since this is one of the well designed stoves that only requires ember protection from the hearth your little platform can be framed with 2x4 and plywood covered, then tile the top. Lots of us have built raised hearths for the sake of cleanliness, loading convenience, fire view, and aesthetics.

I may have overstated the ugliness. It is a totally subjective issue. Nobody walks in, looks at my ultra princess, and complains. It's just that there are some very attractive stoves in existence that I think look better and I'm not willing to trade down to a 30 box BK to get the better looks.

I didn't mention the window accumulation. The Princess model will get some junk on the glass, you can still see through most of it and about 50% is totally clear but it is unique to this stove. Along the same lines, if you require an active flameshow all the time then you'll either be very hot or this stove is not for you. This stove only makes a lot of flames when the thermostat is at high settings.

Unlike the ashford model, smoke smell has not been a frequently reported issue with the princess. This one gets people all upset but you will have no problem searching and finding threads about this issue. Providing an excellent flue system such as an all vertical, double wall, interior 15'+ chimney as required by the manual seems to be the best plan. The princess only required a 12' chimney in 2012 when I bought mine, and now the manual requires a 15'. I have a feeling that the princess is less sensitive to draft.

I have a 12-15 hour work day so it might be tricky in my case to get a reloading cycle down that doesn’t cook us out or reload prematurely. Probably over thinking it.

This is part of the fun. What I did when I was away from home during the day for 11 hours was to load the stove when I got home at 6pm and then the only time the house might cool off is while you're away at work. Walking past the stove in the morning, 13 hours into a burn cycle, the stove was happily chugging along at half tank of fuel and the house was plenty warm. This is NOT how it works with a noncat.

This is part of the fun. What I did when I was away from home during the day for 11 hours was to load the stove when I got home at 6pm and then the only time the house might cool off is while you're away at work. Walking past the stove in the morning, 13 hours into a burn cycle, the stove was happily chugging along at half tank of fuel and the house was plenty warm. This is NOT how it works with a noncat.
So my plan is to load up before I leave 6-7:30am (varies) turning it down, reload when I get home, 6-9pm, cranking it up a bit to try and make room for am reload. The installer is coming tomorrow to check it out, wife is working from home so she has to explain all the measurements and questions I wrote on the drywall where the stove is going. And I left my phone # just in case. I have a tiled slab floor with a 13” foundation wall and 3” for the wall plates so I’m going to build a hearth and the 10 1/2 pedestal to get my fresh air is my thoughts but open to suggestions. 10’ ceiling so should be room to raise

Most of us have older models, but that said, this stove is a workhorse. It needs the same door gasket maintenance as any stove. The latch needs adjustment to keep the door tight, but not often. I am on year 5 with mine, and have adjusted the latch once and replaced the door gasket zero times.

The cat is a consumable. Plan for a new one every 1.5-10 years, depending on your hours burned and minimum standards of cat performance.

Overfires are pretty much unheard of. We did have one guy who melted his, but it turned out that he was running one on like a 30 foot stack with no damper and leaving the door cracked because of wet wood. (Something like that, anyway.) If you really want to overfire one, just leave the door cracked open.. But this trick works with all stoves!

I think you'll be really impressed, especially coming from a soapstone stove. I know the insulation on these stoves is supposed to be a selling point but.... let's just say that it is a selling point for customers who are not engineers. ;)

The princess is indeed the bee's knees. Search the archives here.... you will hear plenty of people complaining that it is insufficiently pretty for them, but almost nobody saying that it isn't a kickass heater.

I bought one based on what i read here. All was true. The stove will not win any beauty contests but it makes up in performance.

Reactions: Highbeam
So my plan is to load up before I leave 6-7:30am (varies) turning it down, reload when I get home, 6-9pm, cranking it up a bit to try and make room for am reload. The installer is coming tomorrow to check it out, wife is working from home so she has to explain all the measurements and questions I wrote on the drywall where the stove is going. And I left my phone # just in case. I have a tiled slab floor with a 13” foundation wall and 3” for the wall plates so I’m going to build a hearth and the 10 1/2 pedestal to get my fresh air is my thoughts but open to suggestions. 10’ ceiling so should be room to raise

That reload schedule is similar to what I do when it's 12 and blowing. You'll be loading a half full firebox. If you really want to load that often then be prepared for partial loads and getting really good at opening the door slowly to prevent smoke rollout. I think you'll get too hot but no problem, easy to adjust.

My BK is up on a 10" hearth. Works fine with my just under 8 foot ceilings. Note that the outside air nipple points down. So you'll need to put a 90 on there. You can always drill a hole through the stem wall if the dirt outside is lower.

Like running different tuners on race day. Im really surprised there hasn’t been a super geek created a program. Just input your bla bla bla and set dial to here and maybe have Siri synced in with the barometer as forecast. Ok, sorry, that’s messed up

Honestly it kinda already does work that way. When its colder outside you draft a little harder so the stove runs hotter. I am on a 20' stack and with my load I run as low as it goes always. Just kick on the fan for a hour if its really cold in the house when I start it. Seems to keep the room at like 72 no matter what the outside temp is.

Reactions: moresnow
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That's why I chose the Chinook over the Princess. Same stove, basically, just a different design. As are all stoves with a "30" in the name.
For me, the nicer Princess. YMMV.

Ya I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it. My son in law would build an app that would give you a reload time for a given weight /moisture content in every perceivable environment/scenario. But I was nervous lending him a chainsaw to cut up a small tree.

Reactions: Earlnemo
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That's why I chose the Chinook over the Princess. Same stove, basically, just a different design. As are all stoves with a "30" in the name.
For me, the nicer Princess. YMMV.

The 30 box stoves are different. Similar perhaps, but different for sure. Lower performance, better looking, a touch smaller. Then there's that ash belly that is really great in the old princess model. We're fortunate to have choices.

I sure do like the looks of the front of that cast iron ashford.

The Chinook i like the looks a lot. Gave the boss a choice between the Princess and the Chinook....she says “both ugly” she is very frank. I ordered my unit the next day and never looked back

The 30 box stoves are different. Similar perhaps, but different for sure. Lower performance, better looking, a touch smaller. Then there's that ash belly that is really great in the old princess model. We're fortunate to have choices.

I sure do like the looks of the front of that cast iron ashford.
Do the 30 boxes put out more heat or less? Burn cleaner or dirtier? Not being a pain I am seriously curious