1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Above Expectations!!!

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Robby, Oct 19, 2012.

1. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Robby

I have a generator on automatic. power goes out for 6 or 7 seconds. Vigas fires right back up.

Because of that... for overheat protection I only used the honeywell thing that dumps heat into the overheat jacket on top if it happens to overheat. It would take a generator failure for that to happen.

I do have an old junk UPS that I'm going to plug the boiler into.. just because I already have it. But I have tested the boiler for outage during a burn.. it starts right back up.

JP

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Robby

Robby Member

Loc:
    Priddis, AB, Canada
    I,m not suggesting that any method is the only one. I also have solar(hot water) using evacuated tubes. It cannot survive long on a sunny day without power. Overheats and turns glycol to sludge.
    I also have a Harman SF360 coal/wood boiler, Takagi condensing natural gas boiler.
    The Harman overheat circuit requires power, Vigas same. The Harman did over-run once, the draft door had piece of coal in it. Everything worked as designed. I have enough backup power to keep complete system (heat and domestic water) running for minimum 48 hrs. Somebody will start backup generator before that period up.

Why all the systems:
    1.I can turn on whatever is cheapest
    2.Gas was always there as backup (it,s automatic when we are away)
    3.Coal inexpensive and available here, but you need fuel to haul it.
    4. Wood, I have lots,just takes hard work. Free except for the work.
  3. nrcrash

nrcrash Member

Loc:
    MA
    What inverter did you end up going with?
  4. Robby

Robby Member

Loc:
    Priddis, AB, Canada
    I cheaped out until decide and have time to do it right. I bought a 1000 watt Pure sine wave, hooked it to a couple of golf cart batteries and used an older transformer style battery charger (it will start charging after a power failure without me touching it). Left the original to run pumps etc. I think I will buy the Tripp-lite, at least 400 bucks cheaper and has exactly the same specs. They been around a long time, maybe means something!