1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

acceptable amount of creosete

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tumm21, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tumm21

tumm21 Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    I just got done sweeping my stove pipe for my insert which is 25 feet high and i got about a third of a spackle bucket for black grainy creosete. Is this ok?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    1/3 of a five gallon bucket I'm assuming?

How much wood had you burned since this was cleaned last or installed?

I'm guessing this unit uses a SS chimney or liner? Or is it a pre-epa unit that direct vents into a masonry chimney?

Without those questions answered, the only thing I have to go on is black and grainy creosote. In general, if all the stars are aligned (wood is well seasoned, consistently "hot" fires with no smoldering, and an EPA unit with a modern and appropriately sized chimney or liner) one would hope that it would have more of a grayish color and there would be less than you gathered.

Assuming this is the result of an end of season cleaning after burning for a full season (say 3-5 cord of wood) then if nothing changes about your burning habits for next season, I'd suggest a mid season cleaning.

If this is the result of a full seasons of burning, that accumulation isn't terrible, but more than I'd personally like to see.

pen
  3. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ouisconsin
    I swept my 6" 25-foot flue and got about a quart of creosote. The other 20-foot flue had about the same amount but it was a greyish powder.

I'm thinking I'm going to pour perlite in between the liner and the clay tile and hopefully that will keep the liner warm enough to prevent condensation.