Accidentally loading with the cat engaged?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SupperAshuelot

Mar 5, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi there,

My wife and I recently installed a Hearthstone Castleton with a catalytic combustor. We're loving it, but there have been several occasions where one of us has forgotten to disengage the combustor (i.e. open the bypass) when re-loading the firebox.

The manual included with the stove advises opening the bypass before any re-loads, but doesn't mention the reason for the need to do so.

Are we causing any lasting damage whenever we forget to open the bypass before loading some fresh fuel?

Problem with loading while the cat is engaged is smoke will pour out into the room and you will be sending excess fly ash into your cat which will quickly cause it to need cleaning.

I have a hearthstone Green Mountain which is essentially the same stove.

I've heard of two potential problems, but I don't know how likely they are. The first is that sending cold smoke through the cat can clog it (coals don't generate much smoke, so it's ok to leave engaged as the fire cools, but not so much while it's heating up). I would imagine if the cat gets back up to a high temperature, any excess particulate that condensed will burn back off (and worst case you'll just need to deep clean it). The other is that you could thermally shock the cat by sending suddenly much colder gasses through it, which might cause it to crack (which I think is still ok unless it cracks in a way where it won't stay in position anymore). My guess would be leaving it engaged isn't ideal, and it's slightly risky, but if it happens occasionally it's probably not a huge issue.

well just don't let it happen again, you'll be fine