1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Actual englander 30-ncp efficiency

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pro5oh, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro5oh

pro5oh Member

Loc:
    downeast Maine
    I noticed the Englander is rated at 63% as an EPA default percentage for secondary burn stoves. Would it be somewhat accurate to say its more like 70-75%?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Correct, the 63% is standard EPA rating. Maybe Corie has done some actual efficiency testing?

What is impressive is how cleanly these stoves run. The 30-NC is rated at 1.63 grams/hr. That's super for any stove and especially good for a non-cat.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I don't think it would be accurate to say that the average household burns a non-cat stove like that at 75% delivered efficiency......there is a reason for the default efficiency of EPA.

Real world is very different than EPA. I would guess that most non-cats come in at about 65% if you want to use a real-world value.....maybe lower. Cats might come in at the same, although higher initially (when new). So use 70 for cats and 65 for non-cats (maybe).

Remember to adjust wood for moisture content! It is common for folks to take the BTU content - maybe 8500 btu per pound, and then multiply it by the efficiency. Example: 65% efficiency=5500 BTU out per pound? No.....

The real figure is, at about 20% moisture, 7,000 BTU per pound. Taking that at 65, you have about 4500. That is honestly almost a best case scenario, as most people don't have wood at 20% constantly.
  4. pro5oh

pro5oh Member

Loc:
    downeast Maine
    Love this site, cant stress that enough!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.