Acutron III Control - No Manual Setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lammy

Feb 20, 2015
Bristol, CT
Hi All,
Hoping someone can help. I know I can replace the entire control with the newer Acutron IV, but I'm hoping for a more immediate solution considering the temps in New England right now.

The control seems to have "lost" the manual setting. When holding the off button it only scrolls through the 1&2 and 3&4 setting. The 1&4 setting (manual operation) never shows up.

I do not have a thermostat connected.

The result is I select the 3&4 setting and then the stove will only run at #1. With this cold we really need it to run higher. While #4 would be higher than we'd use normally, it'll be better than #1.

Is there a way to "fool" the board into thinking there's a thermostat connected and asking for more heat so it will run at #4?

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, you place a jumper between the t-stat terminals. That tells the stove to fire at the selected rate. The t-stat is always calling for heat as far as the stove is concerned.

T-stat terminals are on the extra module board correct? I do not have that board as the stove has never had a thermostat connected.

When the red FEED RATE lights 1 and 4 flash, that is the manual function.
This is what my control is not doing. It only does the other two.

iirc, the jumpers on the main board are supposed to be connected when there is no t-stat. When you install the module you remove the jumper. (see attached)

Attachments

• PelpProAccutronIIcontrolPanel (2)sc.jpg
    PelpProAccutronIIcontrolPanel (2)sc.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 520
Yes, you place a jumper between the t-stat terminals. The ones on the main board if the aux board isn't there.

I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure they are there already. That photo is not my board, but the same board as I have.

This is the problem. The board is set up for manual operation only but thinks it is running from a t-stat.

If jumping those terminals is the only solution, and it's already done, then the only solution is a new board? (or add a t-stat :confused: )

I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure they are there already. That photo is not my board, but the same board as I have.

This is the problem. The board is set up for manual operation only but thinks it is running from a t-stat.

If jumping those terminals is the only solution, and it's already done, then the only solution is a new board? (or add a t-stat :confused: )

Well those things happen, it is possible that the jumper is not making proper contact.

So this is very interesting. Guess I got lucky. My board has the transformer and t-stat connection on it like a IV.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 597
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 670
There's another thread on this board where the person ordered a new board. The board is a IV but the face plate said II. Go figure. His board is the same number but a-V. Guess that makes mine one of the very early IVs being a -A.

It is working properly now. The jumper seemed loose so I tightened the prongs inside with a tiny screwdriver. Goes on very night now and its back to running in manual mode. When i do the mode select it doesn't give me any options at all, which i suspect is correct with the manual operation jumper installed.

Thanks again for the help!!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
There's another thread on this board where the person ordered a new board. The board is a IV but the face plate said II. Go figure. His board is the same number but a-V. Guess that makes mine one of the very early IVs being a -A.

It is working properly now. The jumper seemed loose so I tightened the prongs inside with a tiny screwdriver. Goes on very night now and its back to running in manual mode. When i do the mode select it doesn't give me any options at all, which i suspect is correct with the manual operation jumper installed.

Thanks again for the help!!

Enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.