Adapting chimney for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyy7

Sep 9, 2010
Fruitvale BC
I am retrofitting my old stove to a pellet unit.
After doing some research I am not clear on whether I can adapt the pellet venting pipe to the original pipe at the ceiling thimble.
The chimney runs vertically through the ceiling and is about 8' from floor to ceiling.
Would a liner be required, or is the double insulated original piping sufficient? It's all in good condition.
Your site is a wealth of knowledge and the helpful members are terrific!
Thanks for any advice you can give.

johnnyy7 said:
I am retrofitting my old stove to a pellet unit.
After doing some research I am not clear on whether I can adapt the pellet venting pipe to the original pipe at the ceiling thimble.
The chimney runs vertically through the ceiling and is about 8' from floor to ceiling.
Would a liner be required, or is the double insulated original piping sufficient? It's all in good condition.
Your site is a wealth of knowledge and the helpful members are terrific!
Thanks for any advice you can give.

You should be able to run your pellet vent into the Class A without an issue.
Locate the properly sized adapter for pellet vent to whatever size your chimney is.
You can terminate at the adapter, just thru the adapter, or you can run a liner to the cap.
Your call. The liner all the way may make is easier & less messy when it comes to brushing.

Yes you can adapt.

Remove the pipe up to the thimble, silicon and screw on the adapter, insert and silicone your pellet pipe, and off you go.

Oh, and you may have to cut a hole in your adapter depending on the type, but that should be no biggie.

Here are some pics to show you how it should work. This is a 7" adapter. Most likely you need a 6".

Click on the pics for a close up.

th_DSCF2043.jpg
th_DSCF2044.jpg
th_DSCF2044zoom.jpg

I did the same thing too when I switched from wood to pellet stove. My wood stove pipe was 8", and I got an adapter to go from 4"-8".

Attachments

• Astoria 1.jpg
    Astoria 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,355
imacman said:
I did the same thing too when I switched from wood to pellet stove. My wood stove pipe was 8", and I got an adapter to go from 4"-8".
My wife has been asking me for one of those 4" to 8" adaptors....

Status
Not open for further replies.