Add Chain Brake to Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I have an older craftsmen 38cc 16 inch chainsaw well built and heavy metal but there is no chain brake. I looked up the model and there was none made for this model. Is there anyway to add a way to have a hand brake or some other method to have a chain brake?

The model is:
358.352360 Go to google images and type this and you will see what I have.

This looks like it could fit but I am not sure?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Poulan-Chai...919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53feb73c27

I do not know how t cross reference between the poulan and craftsman.

Last edited:
I think I have three of those saws - I'll check tomorrow and see if any have a brake - if so, I'll PM you. Cheers!

Thanks man if so let me know if you are willing to sell. Also what about the link I have above. Will this work on this saw.

If that brake will work depends on how well you can fasten the brake to the saw and whether the brake band will fit correctly over the clutch drum - I'd imagine it would be a bit of a pain - I'm running out to check my saws right now and I'll let you know in a few minutes. Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks man if so let me know if you are willing to sell. Also what about the link I have above. Will this work on this saw.
Nope - one has no hand guard at all and the other two only have the hand guard, no brake - sorry, couldn't remember. Have you tried to find a parts diagram for your saw to see if they offered a chain brake model - I'm pretty sure not. I'm thinking you may have a tough time retrofitting a brake to your saw, but I hope you can figure it out! Cheers!

The saw in the feebay listing is the Poulan 2000. I have one and no brake just the hand guard. I don't think a brake was ever offered. Very well built little saw.

So, can anyone verify if the poulan 180 or 190 is not the same as the craftsmen that I have?

AS far as the poulan 25s how do I know if one of the chain brakes will fit on might. Anyone know a big expert on thee saws?

Status
Not open for further replies.