1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Add humidity to the dry heat - Le Creuset cookware ok?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mstrekel, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstrekel

mstrekel New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    So now that we have a great, warm fire, we need to add some humidity to the house.
    Can we just use a Le Creuset or other cast iron piece of cookware, add water, and just put it on top of the stove? Thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PNWBurner

PNWBurner Member

Loc:
    NW Washington
    I'd be in trouble if I used any of the Le Creuset for such a lowly task :)

I don't see why it wouldn't work though. They do make special little kettles you can get too.

Biggest thing is not to scratch up the stove paint with the bottom of whatever, it's easy to do...
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Are you adding dollar bills as kindling to this stove!

The LeCreuset piece that you are about to ruin will do just fine, it's just a shame to ruin such a good piece of cook ware.

Once you start getting mineral build up on it, there will be no saving it.

What you use to generate steam on your stove does not need to be cast iron, it just needs to not have any components that will melt like plastic handles.

pen
  4. Northern NH Mike

Northern NH Mike Member

Loc:
    Northern NH
    +1 or 2

I am using a cheap version of the cast iron cookware on the stovetop, but it is now unusable for cooking due to the mineral buildup. Check out your local stove shop, antique store for something more economical.
  5. nojo

nojo New Member

Loc:
    Western/cent Mass
    If you are going to use a metal especially cast iron pot/kettle put it on a porcelain or some other sort of ceramic tile onto of your stove. We have a 6x6 porcelain tile under our cast iron tea kettle. That way it wont damage your stove top.

I would go for Stainless or a glazed Ceramic pot/kettle. They wont rust like cast iron or steel.
  6. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I have 2 pieces of La Creuset.

You put either one of 'em on a wood stove, and you and me are gonna tangle.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.