Add humidity to the dry heat - Le Creuset cookware ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrekel

Jan 27, 2010
Colchester, CT
So now that we have a great, warm fire, we need to add some humidity to the house.
Can we just use a Le Creuset or other cast iron piece of cookware, add water, and just put it on top of the stove? Thoughts?

I'd be in trouble if I used any of the Le Creuset for such a lowly task :)

I don't see why it wouldn't work though. They do make special little kettles you can get too.

Biggest thing is not to scratch up the stove paint with the bottom of whatever, it's easy to do...

Are you adding dollar bills as kindling to this stove!

The LeCreuset piece that you are about to ruin will do just fine, it's just a shame to ruin such a good piece of cook ware.

Once you start getting mineral build up on it, there will be no saving it.

What you use to generate steam on your stove does not need to be cast iron, it just needs to not have any components that will melt like plastic handles.

pen

+1 or 2

I am using a cheap version of the cast iron cookware on the stovetop, but it is now unusable for cooking due to the mineral buildup. Check out your local stove shop, antique store for something more economical.

If you are going to use a metal especially cast iron pot/kettle put it on a porcelain or some other sort of ceramic tile onto of your stove. We have a 6x6 porcelain tile under our cast iron tea kettle. That way it wont damage your stove top.

I would go for Stainless or a glazed Ceramic pot/kettle. They wont rust like cast iron or steel.

I have 2 pieces of La Creuset.

You put either one of 'em on a wood stove, and you and me are gonna tangle.

Status
Not open for further replies.