Add on wood furnace..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this group and am interested in installing an add on wood furnace in my basement to tie into my homes ductwork. I have an old home with 2 separate gas fired furnaces in my basement. I want to install an add on wood furnace into both ductwork zones. Home is approximately 2500sq. ft. with good insulation in attic. Anyone help me out with ideas as far as models. I'm looking for obviously safety (1st) and max burn times. Any input would be much appreciated.. Thanks Dave

Well since no one replied people here have been recommending the tundra for the more basic model or the caddy for the top of the line. I have the Englander 28-3500 it works for us no frills and we only average 6ish hours of burn time but we have been burning no so seasoned ash. My brother has the same and hes been burning green oak and gets about the same but he loads his more full and uses more wood. When it is about 40 out and a steady fire the house sits about 75ish but when it was -20 we fed the best a lot of wood burned it really hot and struggled to get 70. Now the few days its been about 50 we lit one fire in the moring heats up to 80ish in the house fire dies and it cools back down by bed time. Hope that helped.

Reactions: TheBigIron
Kuuma's are top shelf. I have a nearly new Charmaster for sale. Send me a PM if you want to talk about Wood furnaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.