Addicted to Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
My screen name is Vic and I'm addicted to sugar maple.

I am fortunate in that I have a fair amount around here. Earlier today I was driving home and a town DPW guy was taking down limbs from a maple. I had to turn around and ask what they were doing with it. Scored a car load (1/4 cord). Not like I need it. I have enough wood for this season and next season (8 cords total). Is it just me?

Hi Vic! I burned a fair amount of sugar (hard) maple last year, and have a few cords of it for this winter as well. I like to use it for the overniters, as it burns long and hot and leaves nice coals. Good stuff!

Where we are, sugar maples are used for making maple syrup! I couldn't see myself cutting one down for firewood, unless it was 'past its prime'

Vic99 said:
My screen name is Vic and I'm addicted to sugar maple.

I am fortunate in that I have a fair amount around here. Earlier today I was driving home and a town DPW guy was taking down limbs from a maple. I had to turn around and ask what they were doing with it. Scored a car load (1/4 cord). Not like I need it. I have enough wood for this season and next season (8 cords total). Is it just me?
Thats the way to do it. My wife says a can see a tree in distress from a mile away!lol

yes, when I buy logs I like to see shgar maples in the mix. On my own property I cull them for my FUTURE maple syrup production.

The old sap producers that line the street here all seem to get a little sick before their time (though some are truly ancient)- I presume from the yearly drilling. You can tell the weak ones- they already have a little blush of color in the outer leaves.

sugar maple is excellent stuff. you say you have anough wood for two years?? why not make it three...

Yes, excellent wood. Almost 50% of what I have is what I call the good mix (sugar maple, oak spp., hickory, and apple). 25% pine, 25% mid grade birch, red maple, etc.

I am about to start on the next year (have this season & next season done currently). Just can't pass up the good mix when it's free.

I do like sugar maple, but red oak is my vice. I don't think there's any better smelling wood when split wet. Long burning and high btu output.

Status
Not open for further replies.