Adding a blower to Majestic MR42 gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

9TS

Dec 20, 2017
PA
Hello -

I am new to the forum. I have Majestic gas fireplace MR42 with gas logs. It doesn't put any heat back to the house because it doesn't have blower like its similar model MRC42. Both of them share the same manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/909466/Majestic-Mr42.html). I wonder if I can add the blower to my MR42 by using MRC42 parts, such as blower, top & bottom grilles, and etc. Right now my MR42 top and bottom are surrounded by stone (might be a granite) and full surround wood mantel.

Or should I opt for cast iron fireback instead? I am not if it will throw much heat back comparing with the blower option.

Thanks in advance

Tom

You CANNOT add a blower. Your "R" = RADIANT. That's how you get warmth (NOT HEAT) from it. It is NOT a heater-rated appliance, & it is not designed to have a blower unit. The "C" = Circulating. it will circulate a small amount of air that will be passed along the inner firebox where it will pick up a little WARMTH.
It is a campfire in your living room & will NOT heat you. In fact, it's COSTING you money to use it. You are allowing air that you have already paid to heat to pass into & thru the firebox & up the chimney.

Thanks DAKSY. Will cast iron fireback help to radiate more heat back to the house? or I'd better of saving some money to get a new fireplace?

You can TRY a fireback. It you have a steel distributor near you, a piece of 1/2" - 3/4" plate will work as well as pretty cast iron one & it'll cost you WAY less.