Adding a front grille

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why so Corie? Thought you were more a steel welding kind of guy?

Corie said:
My vote goes to the Quad, hands down.

Yeah , Thats bogus post if i ever heard one. :p

Post your "hands down" right up C .

Dont see too many "hands down" votes on this forum except for maybe EPA vs non-EPA stoves.

No, really, I'm legit!!!! To avoid controversy though, I'll say that in my humble opinion, the quad is a nicer unit.

I'm only a steel stove kind of guy because it means I can make it. I much prefer cast iron to steel. I've looked at the Isle a lot, and I like the nifty baffle pivoting mechanism that allows top loading. I like that huge firebox and the start up air that quadrafire inclues. I also think the enamel is very attractive.

I have to agree, aesthetically the Isle Royale is a really pretty unit. We're very fond of enameled stoves as well. Though the Isle Royale's palette is very limited.

BeGreen said:
I have to agree, aesthetically the Isle Royale is a really pretty unit. We're very fond of enameled stoves as well. Though the Isle Royale's palette is very limited.

Well if you were looking for heat instead of furniture, I would have a suggestion. But...

Well this is a partnership so, no barrel stoves in the livingroom :)

The PE Classic or the Napolean clad stove is about as close as a steel stove is going to make it here.

Me, I still dream of a Tulikivi or a kacheloven. I love the idea of feeding it no more than once or twice a day.

See for me, the Tulikivi is the opposite of what I like. This is a personal thing, but I'm a big time firebug and having a fire I only get to play with once a day is no fun at all.

I don't know about prices BeGreen, and it isn't a top loader, but it is enameled cast iron and it has soapstove to boot. What about the Bennington? I was just looking through my huge collection of stove manuals and that one caught my eye for you. Of course I don't know about the clearences either, but I thought I might throw that out there.

BeGreen said:
Well this is a partnership so, no barrel stoves in the livingroom :)

The PE Classic or the Napolean clad stove is about as close as a steel stove is going to make it here.

Me, I still dream of a Tulikivi or a kacheloven. I love the idea of feeding it no more than once or twice a day.

I really don't know what decision there is to make. You like iron stoves about as much as I don't like them. The Isle Royale is a gorgeous cast stove with big firebox, top loading and the dental work that Ms. BeGreen likes.

The only question is do they deliver it through the front door or the back door.

I looked at the Bennington, clearances won't work and it doesn't seem to have the reputation of the Summit or Isle Royale. Clearances won't work for a Leyden either, though if it weren't for the corner clearances I'd have an Encore or and Oakwood most likely. The only issue with the Isle Royale is they make it in only 2 enamel colors, neither are my wife's favorite, though she'll settle for a white one. Me, I like the Summit for a long burn on crappy NW softwoods. And the black pearl finish is attractive enough to dress it up for the livingroom.

No problem deciding which door. Our house is backwards, you enter through the rear. The front porch is about 6 feet off the ground, lots of steps, whenever they get built. Right now it's just a big hole. Whichever stove, it will be coming through the same way the Jotul did; through the new door to the kitchen entry.

One cautionary note that I thought I would throw in.... When Elk and I were up at the VC plant, we talked a bit about the mounting of the glass in the doors. It is apparently quite a problem to come up with a design that will work properly, and gets VERY fussy if you want to both hold the glass firmly and pass the required safety tests that simulate things hitting it. Any kind of distortion in the metal frames or hold down clips would result in stress points in the glass that would make it crack when hit.

This would make me very nervous about any add in grill design that was retained by putting clips or tabs into the gap between the glass and the door. It would seem to me that you'd be adding the stress points back in that the manufacturer just went through a lot of effort to take out... I'm not saying don't do it, but the idea makes me nervous, unless you can come up with an approach that is less invasive.

Gooserider

I agree and have been thinking about this for awhile. I would prefer it welded, epoxied or screwed into the door sans glass first with no contact to the glass at all. Clips would make the process easier, but the integrity of the glass is essential to safe operation of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.