Adding a programable thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyclan

Dec 23, 2007
Missouri
Greetings,
I have a Quad cb1200 insert that has the "basic" wall thermostat that came with the model. I like the wall thermostat, especially where its located, but would like to have the ability to have the stove lit and warming the house by the time we get up. I did a search for any old threads discussing this topic, but couldn't find anything specific to my model. I have looked in the manual, but all I can find is "The appliance is designed to run on a 12 volt AC thermostat". I don't want anything fancy, just the ability to program an early start time. The wiring has only 2 wires (red and white) but NO labels, so I assume the red goes to R and the white to the W (on the new thermostat). I saw a backlit Honeywell that does what I want, and its reasonable. Quad makes a programable one for 149.00 (per my dealer) - not going to happen. My dealer wasn't very helpful with the wiring suggestions or if I can use the honeywell, so any suggestions, personal experiences, etc would be appreciated.

You probably don't have a "Red" in the new thermostat - it probably has an RH and an RC. You want the red wire on the RH I believe. But don't worry, the thermostat will have directions for a 2-wire install. Easy as pie to install. Just make sure it's for 12V not 24V (the latter being pretty common). It'll say on the package.

This is what I bought for my Avalon Astoria.....same set-up, 2 wires.....works fine, and pretty cheap. I have the same ones on my oil heat in the house (4 zones).

Cost about $23.00

www.bizrate.com/homehardware/oid707101095.html

Attachments

• psp511l.gif
    psp511l.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 534
Yep, looks just like mine that says Quadrafire on it and cost $100+. :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.