Adding a wall to make a second room. Advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoismad

May 5, 2008
Ohio
I bought my house to fix up and eventually sell in a few years. I got a good deal, 72k$ for a 3 bedroom one bath on an acre of land in town.

Recently I've installed a Goodman heatpump / 15kw electric furnace with all the duct work to go along with it, and plumbed my wood furnace into it as backup. Actually I use the electric as backup.

Anyways. So whats classified as a "bedroom" is actually a utility room with 2 doors, one leading to the garage and the other to the dining room, and a nook for the washer and dryer. All of this is along one wall. The other part of the room has a large storage closet.

My idea is to add a wall with a door, to make the side with the 2 doors and washer/dryer into a hallway, and the other side into a small bedroom or office area.

It would be about 8'x12'. Plenty of room for a nice big desk and work space, or for a childrens bedroom with a single bed, dresser, etc.

While I agree this is quiet small, it seems like I would only be doing good by making it a real bedroom, since as it is its pretty much unusable except for as storage. Right now I just have some work out equipment in there that I never use.

It needs recarpeted anyways....so my plan is to rip up the carpet, buy some 2x4s, build a wall frame structure in place with room for a prehung door, add drywall, and tada! Is there any steps I'm missing? I've hung and done drywall before, so thats not a big deal. I can run an electric circuit into the new wall for an outlet or two, and my new "hallway" area I'm making for the utility area (washer and dryers, plus walkway to the garage) will need a light fixture added to it.

I'd need to add trim, but the trim in the rest of the house isn't done yet, so thats not a big deal. I'm just using pine 1x6"s with a walnut finish. I didn't think they looked that great when I started, but my girlfriend and mom both say they really like the look it gives the place.

So, anything I'm overlooking here? This would be my biggest project to date.

CZARCAR said:
code says outlet every 12' if u care & 1 light with switch/room

My county doesn't have any code enforcement what so ever.

When I installed my furnace and had the mayor come inspect it so my my insurance would sign off on it, he was just like "yep, thats a woodburner." didn't look close at it at all.
And the electrical wiring in my crawlspace is an f'n nightmare. I need to get under there and clean it up soon, just waiting on it to warm up.

I'm confused a bit by the description but would the "new bedroom" have any windows? It sounds like "codes" are not your concern but if there were a fire you'd want a way out of that bedroom other than the door....

stee6043 said:
I'm confused a bit by the description but would the "new bedroom" have any windows? It sounds like "codes" are not your concern but if there were a fire you'd want a way out of that bedroom other than the door....

Absolutely. There would be 2 windows in the room.

I think it might be best if I drew a picture. I'll try to do that tonight and post a picture.

And don't get me wrong, I'd much rather do things the right way.

How about laying down a wood laminate floor for the hallway and buying a remnant for the 'new' bedroom (8'X12' is tiny!). Also, if you need a few extra feet and if the closet is large enough, you could shave a couple feet off the closet and add it to the room. I know it means mending the ceiling and re-spraying it, but you could always do the 'step-down' method which looks much nicer over time.
I know.... these are ideas; not areas where there's anything you're overlooking. I'm thinking resale value.

lass442 said:
How about laying down a wood laminate floor for the hallway and buying a remnant for the 'new' bedroom (8'X12' is tiny!). Also, if you need a few extra feet and if the closet is large enough, you could shave a couple feet off the closet and add it to the room. I know it means mending the ceiling and re-spraying it, but you could always do the 'step-down' method which looks much nicer over time.
I know.... these are ideas; not areas where there's anything you're overlooking. I'm thinking resale value.

Thanks man!

My neighbor is a Realtor, and has sold "my" house twice since he's lived here.

I plan on asking him about layout, floorplan, etc, since he's been in alot of homes and seen what sells and what doesn't.

Find which way the ceiling joists above area you intend to put the wall. You will need to know where you can tie the top of the wall in, and where you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.