Adding firebricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
Several years ago I bought a used Vermont Castings wood stove. It's large for my house - it was formerly owned by a relative. It works well, but I go through more wood than my previous smaller stove. The current wood stove does not have fire bricks. Would adding fire bricks be a practical way to reduce the amount of wood needed yet generally maintain the heat output? I would only put it in back, I like the width of the stove, I can fit 21, maybe 22" wide logs. Won't put them on the bottom since there's a grate where the ashes fall into a removeable tray below.

Since it would just be in back there may not be a significant reduction in volume. Or - maybe since the stove wasn't designed to have bricks it may not be a good idea anyway.

Reducing the depth in an E/W loader will put the wood closer to the glass, increasing the possibility of logs rolling against the glass.

Yes that's true, And there is a significant amount of glass on the door.

On my T5 I reduce the firebox volume with bricks along the bottom. I shovel my ash out with a metal dust pan. I don’t use the ash drawer and load my stove north/south.

Since you reduced the fuel charge, this will limit the hours between refills and can limit heat output.

Yes that's true, And there is a significant amount of glass on the door.
For this reason, I would be more inclined to put the bricks on the sides.