Adding Gas insert cap to existing Triple cap-how?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theITguy

Sep 25, 2019
massachusetts
Hey all- I am planning on putting in a vented gas insert in one of my 2 fireplaces. I already have the gas and electric run. I need to understand one thing though. How do you add the cap for the gas fireplace when you have an existing cap like i do? Covers all three flues and seems like its cemented in. We do not burn wood in any of the fireplaces and the 3rd is a vacated capped exhaust from the old furnace that was replaced with a newer one vented out the side of the house.

Do i just cut a hole in the existing cap to fit the gas fireplace cap and seal it with the correct sealant so water doesn't get it but it will handle the heat?

It would be the flue all the way to the right. TIA!

MVIMG_20190910_122612.jpg

A company called RLH makes a low profile cap which may work you would just have to measure and see. I can’t remember just how tall their cap is. Otherwise you use the Dura vent top out a c section of pipe through your cap seal that and put the duravent cap on the pipe

Reactions: theITguy
A company called RLH makes a low profile cap which may work you would just have to measure and see. I can’t remember just how tall their cap is. Otherwise you use the Dura vent top out a c section of pipe through your cap seal that and put the duravent cap on the pipe

Thank you very much for the feedback i will look into the low profile cap.