Additional Chimney Insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kankujoe

Hearth Supporter
Jun 8, 2008
West Central Missouri
I've been reading quite alot about woodburning & chimney dynamics from several sources. Some say that chimneys installed "outside" of your "heated" house can cause problems. My chimney install is straight up from my stove but most of it (beyond the 1st 3 feet) is exposed to the outside because of my install.

My stove/chimney install is in a single story great room (700sqft w/ cathedral ceiling) attached to a two story main house. The layout made it necessary to have about 10 foot of chimney above my roofline (to clear my second story & maintain the 10/2 rule). I used DuraPlus triple wall insulated 6" chimney (Simpson/Dura-Vent). Stovepipe is DVL double wall (about 7ft length above stove) connecting to the chimney pipe.

Is it necessary or even beneficial to further insulate or box in my DuraPlus manufactured chimney? It drafts fine, I have no issues starting a fire, maintaining a fire or having a good & complete burn each time (so far). My typical burns are 400 to 600 degrees (stovetop thermometer) depending on how full & often I feed the stove.

Pretty sure your chimney is already insulated in which case additional insulation should not be nessisary.

My Chim goes outside of the envelope for oh I don't know, the whole way. I have no issues with draft, I also have double pipe from stovetop to cap. The biggest issue you may or may not have is the exterior pipe cooling and having a creosote issue, that being said, I have been keeping an eye on mine and it is not an issue, I burn hot, complete, cycled fires with no smoke.

Thanks for the replies...

I'm trying to do my best to limit or eliminate creosote build up (and the danger of a chimney fire). I know that my install layout is not the absolute best according to everything I've read but it is my best choice given the layout of my house and my preferred application.

Status
Not open for further replies.