Adhesive for cement board-Yes or No question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Anyone use adhesive to attach cement board to the hearth pad? My hearth is metal, and the cement board will be directly attached to 16g. plate. I'd like to use an adhesive, for no other reason than to give the cement board a bit of cushion (don't want to hear any crunchy sounds). Suggestions on adhesives? Stove is a BKK, only requires ember protection. Thanks, JB

PL Premium, Liquid Nails, Loctite Grabber, etc, etc, etc, etc.

No odor or curing issues? I've got a bunch of PL-400, and Liquid nails, just never used them for a hearth.

Thank you, Vivian Va-Voom-guess that's the VVV? :lol: That stuff doesn't concern me too much in the short-term, I am curious about possibly having the adhesive becoming brittle over time.

Beetle-Kill said:
Thank you, Vivian Va-Voom-guess that's the VVV? :lol: That stuff doesn't concern me too much in the short-term, I am curious about possibly having the adhesive becoming brittle over time.
vvv is trple u, a letter i invented which is more phonetically functional than a w [which sounds like a u anyway]. the vvv is pronounced by the smack of a kiss & so it can be part of any language & needs no translation= universal. like Xmass i think its genesis deserves a celebration which is vvvmass :roll:

What about a thin layer of Thin set mortor

Thank you for the explanation. Must be the altitude 'cause I never would have figured that out on my own. Too cool. I am still curious about the longevity of the elasticity of adhesive. Thanks.

I was trying to cheat with the adhesive. The floor is not dead-nuts level, and I put in a bunch of stub columns for the supports below the 16g.. The fascia is 5" angle, rolled on a 31"R, so the 16g. only has positive support at 13 locations, plus the perimeter. Yeah, kinda funky, but that's me. I'm just now finished with the plug-welding, and ready to contour the cement board to the existing stone wall. I'll probably thin-set , but I really want to adhese and screw down. I'm lazy.

I would go with the thin layer of thin set mortar. I remember reading on one of the cement board maker's websites that they did not recommend adhesives like liquid nails because you cannot evenly spread it out and it can therefore leave small voids between the cement board and flooring material below, which can eventually cause the cement board to crack from normal loads.

fire_man, that makes sense. Outside of cat traffic, no one's going to walk around the stove. Looks like mixing, mudding, and cursing is in store for me this weekend. :coolgrin: (Oh yeah, wife wants every 12"x12" tile cut up in random sizes, like the last hearth we did. Uugh!)

Beetle-Kill, I think they make pre-mixed Thin-set these days- might save some aggravation. And remember Keep her happy and you'll be happy!

Stiff paint brush and smear it all over.

fire_man said:
I would go with the thin layer of thin set mortar. I remember reading on one of the cement board maker's websites that they did not recommend adhesives like liquid nails because you cannot evenly spread it out and it can therefore leave small voids between the cement board and flooring material below, which can eventually cause the cement board to crack from normal loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.