adios, silver mapleos....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

After many years of the eyesore that it has become, my brother (who lives across the street from me) finally let me cut the sickly looking silver maple out of his yard. Did most of it from the bucket van, ended up with a nice little pile of shoulder season wood out of it, and his yard looks better already!

Resampled952012-03-319514-25-0995638.jpg Resampled952012-03-319517-20-5695671.jpg Resampled952012-03-319518-13-5995180.jpg

Nice job SO, did you also man the rakes. Most of the year we heat with Cherry so I would never turn down Silver Maple. We usually burn 3 cord of Cherry an under 1 cord of good hardwood.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Looking good Scotty - think you'll burn it this season, or will you wait? Cheers!

Nice job SO, did you also man the rakes. Most of the year we heat with Cherry so I would never turn down Silver Maple. We usually burn 3 cord of Cherry an under 1 cord of good hardwood.

zap
yessir, I helped him rake it up too. That's what us big brothers are for! We have a couple limbs on a big white ash in his backyard to cut tomorrow morning then its all hands on deck to split that stuff plus the cord and a half of black walnut I still have to do in my backyard. Then off to the next valley over the mountain to look at two big poplars, a huge white oak and a cherry for at another job! I'm gonna run out of space with all this wood coming in! May sell that poplar, one of my pet peeve woods......

Looking good Scotty - think you'll burn it this season, or will you wait? Cheers!

This will be wood for 2014/2015. I'm at least 3 years ahead. I like it that way! I'm sure that it would be ready by November. Silver maple dries out really quick when s/s in the early spring.

Looks like nice country! :cool:
I've got a big trunk of Silver to get...36" x 11'. Never burned it before but hoping to try some of it this Fall.

I can see why you call that thing an eye sore. All the growth on one side of the tree. One thing about those type of trees though is that even a greenhorn can tell which way the tree will fall if you cut it normally. :)

Reactions: ScotO
Woody that silver maple dries out quickly, but burns quickly too. It's good for shoulder season and also for morning startups or daytime reloads, I think every woodpile should have some silver maple in it. Dennis, that tree grew all to the one side because there used to be a big fir tree in front of it (almost right against it). It was pruned a little when the pine tree was taken out, but due to a large broken branch a long time ago it had interior rot and it was dying from the inside out. It was time for it to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.