Adjusting door on Summit C Series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

setitonfire

Oct 24, 2013
Topsham, Maine
I noticed that temps near the door handle side of my stove seemed significantly lower during burns. Just tried the dollar bill test near the door handle and it slide out with ease. How can I tighten the door? Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in the manual.

Bend the tab on the door face slightly inward.
Be careful, the high density gaskets they use do not need a lot of compression. Over tightening the latch will cause the handle to wear the cast door area it pivots against to wear prematurely. Over tightening will also prematurely detract from future adjustments. Once the roller on the latch starts contacting the face of the stove, you will need to install a new gasket.
If your not having control issues, and the glass is not getting gunked up near the spot you feel is loose, you may want to check again.
Don't just adjust because of temp readings. Why are you taking temp readings there?

I was actually taking the temp readings at the top left corner just above the door where I had my mag thermometer (broke) using IR gun. Still trying to figure things out but I don't seem to have any control issues. Based on what I had read about the dollar bill test thought I should get some resistance when trying to pull the dollar out in each spot that I test. That area gives no resistance at all, just slides right out.

How does the latch catch? Is it way too easy? or slight resistance? All you want is slight resistance. It should not take a lot of effort to close the latch. Nice smooth action, with a little resistance near the end of the actually latching.
If you have no control issues or gunk build up issues, you should be fine.
Keep in mind these gaskets do not compress like the low density white ones do.
Is the bill loose as in little resistance, or is it really loose like you can wiggle it back & forth easily?

The two indicators of needing adjustment are the stove running hot and harder to control, and black gunk built up on the glass. Usually in the corner(s).

The latch does catch well and has some resistance. Occasionally I'll get some buildup but I think that's more from wood not completely dry. The bill must be pulled out and does not wiggle. Sounds like I'm good. Thanks again.

Sounds like your good to me also.
If the wood is anywhere near the glass, it will offgas and blacken the glass at times, but should burn off mostly leaving maybe some light haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.