Adjusting the Feed Rate on a Quadra Fire Contour

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starling310

Oct 14, 2009
Central CT
My Contour has been making a really loud rumbling noise during the first 10 minutes of start up. . . sounds like a Hemi in my living room.

I have been troubleshooting...and, I am almost positive it has to do with the amount of flame I am getting on start up. That combined with the cold air from the vent is creating the noise. I wouldn't care, but it wakes me out of a dead sleep and I am afraid it's disturbing my neighbors as well. It's THAT loud.

So, here's my question;
I have adjusted the feed rate in the hopper (my stove is old school) and that hasn't really helped.

I am wondering are there additional feed rate controls in the Control Box that I should be considering??

I have read other posts about -2, +5, etc. Does anyone know if the Quadrafire Contour has similar settings?

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated. I don't want to have to keep shutting my stove down at night. :(

Looked up the manual, not much different than my CB1200, same parts, just located differently.
When did this start, have you given it a good cleaning. Burning a different pellet?
I have the same hopper feed rate adjustment.

[quote author="starling310" date="1298494209"]My Contour has been making a really loud rumbling noise during the first 10 minutes of start up. . . sounds like a Hemi in my living room.

Did u ever get it to stop making noise? i have 2 santa fe stoves and they both do the same thing.
on startup when cold its not as bad but when slightly warrm it wakes the dead...
Solution seems to be updating the convection motor and housing...

When the stove is warm, it still may think its burning if not cool enough. So instead of a standard start. You get the standard start amount of pellet (over a minute) and then the pellets keep feeding as if the stove is on.. Which by the time the fires starts. There are a lot more pellets in the pot. Causes a large fire and big rumble.

DexterDay said:
When the stove is warm, it still may think its burning if not cool enough. So instead of a standard start. You get the standard start amount of pellet (over a minute) and then the pellets keep feeding as if the stove is on.. Which by the time the fires starts. There are a lot more pellets in the pot. Causes a large fire and big rumble.
Yes, I have that problem also, but this is a vibration/noise like a dual action sander on a empty steel drum and even changes the flame pattern as it vibrates the air back and forth thoughout the whole stove and pipe....

Status
Not open for further replies.